Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi:

I have to DODGE DAYTONA 1989 2,5 turbo Automatic. I have a problem in the fuel consumption performance. my car throws just 10 mpg. and gives the following fault codes: 51 Oxygen sensor stuck at lean position and 61 "Baro" sensor open or shorted.

took months trying to fix this problem. if anyone has had the same experience, please, I need your help. I'm desperate! Just 10 miles per gallon! it can be? map sensor, oxygen sensor, injectors, please, I need help! accept any suggestions, thanks

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
What, if anything, have you done?

From the code you posted, I would replace the O2 sensor if you haven't done so already.

I'd also check all the vacum lines. They tend to crack and break from the heat of the engine as they age.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Doug D said:

From the code you posted, I would replace the O2 sensor if you haven't done so already.

I'd also check all the vacum lines. They tend to crack and break from the heat of the engine as they age.
I changed all the vacuum lines, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, spark plug cable, TPS, fuel filter, air filter, thermostat, temperature sensor, the injectors have been cleaned.
I not changed the oxygen sensor and not changed the map. I also noticed that the spark plug black out, burning too much gasoline.

the turbo operating properly.

the baro solenoid can be spoiled and send false signals to the map? maybe the oxygen sensor this good and map is bad?

no way to test the oxygen sensor, the map and the baro solenoid, to see if they are good? I appreciate any help

the car runs fine but is excesito consumption (10 mpg)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I changed all the vacuum lines, distributor cap, rotor, spark plugs, spark plug cable, TPS, fuel filter, air filter, thermostat, temperature sensor, the injectors have been cleaned.
I not changed the oxygen sensor and not changed the map. I also noticed that the spark plug black out, burning too much gasoline.

the turbo operating properly.

the baro solenoid can be spoiled and send false signals to the map? maybe the oxygen sensor this good and map is bad?

no way to test the oxygen sensor, the map and the baro solenoid, to see if they are good? I appreciate any help

the car runs fine but is excesito consumption (10 mpg)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Doug D said:

other friend said that the baro solenoid is bad? what you said?....

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
I would start with a fresh OEM O2 sensor and erase the codes to see what comes back.
It sounds very rich and why the fuel economy is so poor. The oil may smell like fuel as well and should be checked and changed, if needed.
The MAP/Baro code could be from poor vacuum. OEM Champion spark plugs should be used.
This book shows tests that can be done without the DRB dealer scan tool:

http://usherwoods.ecrater.com/p/17228398/1989-chrysler-powertrain-diagnostic-procedures-25l

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Doug D said:

ImperialCrown said:
I would start with a fresh OEM O2 sensor and erase the codes to see what comes back.
It sounds very rich and why the fuel economy is so poor. The oil may smell like fuel as well and should be checked and changed, if needed.
The MAP/Baro code could be from poor vacuum. OEM Champion spark plugs should be used.
This book shows tests that can be done without the DRB dealer scan tool:

http://usherwoods.ecrater.com/p/17228398/1989-chrysler-powertrain-diagnostic-procedures-25l
I performed the following tests on the map sensor and barometric solenoid to see if they are failing. for this testing me I got a new map sensor and a barometric solenoid. on the results of these tests the word "old" indicating the party that has the car and the word "new" indicate the new part I got. before performing this test, were checked all vacuum hoses and electrical wiring also everything concerning the map sensor and baro solenoid, there were no failures or vacuum hoses, or electrical wiring. it is noted that the oxygen sensor remains the same test results are the following:

old map with old baro sensor solednoid 10 mpg
old map with new baro sensor solenoid 10 mpg
new map with new baro sensor solenoid 10 mpg
new map with old baro sensor solenoid 10 mpg
only old map sensor connected without baro solenoid: 10mpg
NEW map sensor connected only without baro solenoid 10 mpg

as you can see from the results, the consumption per gallon is still 10 miles. for more info my car is an indicator of Air / Fuel, when I start the car, and I'm running, the indicator light marked "optimal" in the mix, going like 5 minutes, the air / fuel is wasting little by little until the LED brand rohe section performed the following tests on the map sensor and barometric solenoid to see if they are failing. for this testing me I got a new map sensor and a barometric solenoid. on the results of these tests the word "old" indicating the party that has the car and the word "new" indicate the new part I got. before performing this test, were checked all vacuum hoses and electrical wiring also everything concerning the map sensor and baro solenoid, there were no failures or vacuum hoses, or electrical wiring. should be noted that the oxygen sensor remains the same.

the test results are as follows:

as you can see from the results, the consumption per gallon is still 10 miles. for more info my car is an indicator of Air / Fuel, when I start the car, and I'm running, the indicator light marked "optimal" in the mix, as the car is running, the indicator of air / fuel goes down slightly by little until the LED brand red section, corresponding to lean. (About 5 minutes)

these tests can indicate that the map sensor and baro solenoid work well. but definitely the oxygen sensor is failing?. This test shows that the cause of the high fuel consumption is the oxygen sensor?

appreciate opinions ....

I performed the following tests on the map sensor and barometric solenoid to see if they are failing. for this testing me I got a new map sensor and a barometric solenoid. on the results of these tests the word "old" indicating the party that has the car and the word "new" indicate the new part I got. before performing this test, were checked all vacuum hoses and electrical wiring also everything concerning the map sensor and baro solenoid, there were no failures or vacuum hoses, or electrical wiring. it is noted that the oxygen sensor remains the same test results are the following:

as you can see from the results, the consumption per gallon is still 10 miles. for more info my car is an indicator of Air / Fuel, when I start the car, and I'm running, the indicator light marked "optimal" in the mix, going like 5 minutes, the air / fuel is wasting little by little until the LED brand rohe section performed the following tests on the map sensor and barometric solenoid to see if they are failing. for this testing me I got a new map sensor and a barometric solenoid. on the results of these tests the word "old" indicating the party that has the car and the word "new" indicate the new part I got. before performing this test, were checked all vacuum hoses and electrical wiring also everything concerning the map sensor and baro solenoid, there were no failures or vacuum hoses, or electrical wiring. should be noted that the oxygen sensor remains the same.

the test results are as follows:

as you can see from the results, the consumption per gallon is still 10 miles. for more info my car is an indicator of Air / Fuel, when I start the car, and I'm running, the indicator light marked "optimal" in the mix, as the car is running, the indicator of air / fuel goes down slightly by little until the LED brand red section, corresponding to lean. (About 5 minutes)

these tests can indicate that the map sensor and baro solenoid work well. but definitely the oxygen sensor is failing?. This test shows that the cause of the high fuel consumption is the oxygen sensor?

appreciate opinions ....

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
A failing O2 sensor is a strong possibility. It is stuck, pulling full lean trying to remedy the excessive fuel going past it.
If it is trying to lean out the fuel mixture but can't, it may be telling the truth and you have a real rich condition caused by a leaking fuel injector or excessive fuel pressure, misfire, etc.
Have you measured fuel pressure? O2 sensors (NGK/NTK or Mopar) are OEM and cheap enough where I would try one, especially if there is a code for it and no other reasons are apparent.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Before you replace the oxygen sensor, check the ground connection at the driver's side rear corner of the engine block, where the sensor harness has a ring tongue terminal connected to the block with a bolt. Make sure the wire isn't frayed or broken, this is a common failure point. Remove the bolt and clean the terminal, then reinstall.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ImperialCrown said:
A failing O2 sensor is a strong possibility. It is stuck, pulling full lean trying to remedy the excessive fuel going past it.
If it is trying to lean out the fuel mixture but can't, it may be telling the truth and you have a real rich condition caused by a leaking fuel injector or excessive fuel pressure, misfire, etc.
Have you measured fuel pressure? O2 sensors (NGK/NTK or Mopar) are OEM and cheap enough where I would try one, especially if there is a code for it and no other reasons are apparent.
i measure the fuel pressure a this is 55 psi. the sensor the have the car is standard motor. in the next days I buy one oxygen sensor Mopar, I only want secure that is the sensor O2 that is not work......I clean the fuel injectors with ultrasound, and this not have leaks....seems clear that the oxygen sensor fails?

Bob Lincoln said:
Before you replace the oxygen sensor, check the ground connection at the driver's side rear corner of the engine block, where the sensor harness has a ring tongue terminal connected to the block with a bolt. Make sure the wire isn't frayed or broken, this is a common failure point. Remove the bolt and clean the terminal, then reinstall.
review what you say

1 - 10 of 10 Posts