Allpar Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
The 200 'vert is sort of part of a dead era anyways. Cars like it, such as the Toyota Solara have long since passed. It seems that these days, your best chance for convertables to thrive, are on cars with a "fun image"

Previously, I would have agreed that I wouldn't have expected a convertable Challenger, as it is a niche market, and it doesn't seem as if they company needs to invest in more than 1 of these niche vehicles . Now that the slot has been vacated. It seems in the current market that the investment would be much better applied to the Challenger. And the other thing that would really work in it's favor is being one of the most comfortable convertables. (It's more comfortable than all it's coupe counterparts.)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Jeepnut said:
When I would rent convertibles for vacations ect.. I always asked for the Sebring convert. because it was a nice roomy and comfortable car. Since the 200 convertible came out I find myself renting the Mustang or Camaro. The 200 looks just as cramped in the back and if im gonna have that I would rather have the RWD cars to play with. Now this is just my 2 cents so take it with a grain of salt but I just think the 1st and 2nd gen Sebrings were better convertibles. Now that being said I was looking forward to seeing what they could do with the new 200 as a convertible just loose the hardtop your not a BMW softop is fine.
With 2008 + re-design, the rear seats are larger then past sebrings, giving the apperance that there is less room, as think they are about the same.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
36,198 Posts
And on reflection, you are right in that when they went from Sebring to 200, they made the seats thicker and took away some space, btu I still think it's a lot bigger in back than Mustang or Camaro.

Re Challenger, an engineer here felt they had designed it to be convertibilized in the last generation...

PS> We are not certain about 200. This is from a single unproven source.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
UN4GTBL said:
I think Dave meant the 2008-2010 Sebring Convertible space = the 2011+ 200 Convertible space

Previous generations could be different.
Probably due to Karmann vs ASC providing the convertible.

·
The Poster Formerly Known As "Bethlumboy"
2,644 Posts
Next gen GranTurismo is supposed to be on the same platform as the next Challenger. The fact that a new GranCabrio is being planned, also on that platform, greatly increases the odds of a Challenger vert, as much of the development is already being done by Maserati, and a Challenger vert would help to amortize the engineering costs.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I'm seeing many missteps by present management.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Jaime said:
With 2008 + re-design, the rear seats are larger then past sebrings, giving the apperance that there is less room, as think they are about the same.
Dave said:
And on reflection, you are right in that when they went from Sebring to 200, they made the seats thicker and took away some space, btu I still think it's a lot bigger in back than Mustang or Camaro.

Re Challenger, an engineer here felt they had designed it to be convertibilized in the last generation...
PS> We are not certain about 200. This is from a single unproven source.
That very well could be it. I think there might be a trick of the eye kinda thing going on because the 1st and 2nd gen Sebring convertibles to me look longer and wider they may not be bit like I said im not a customer for that car so I havent researched it very much.
GuidoFL said:
I'm seeing many missteps by present management.

Just my 2 cents.
I agree to a point it looks like they are learning with the Dart so if they can quickly adapt to small mistakes its one thing. If they stubbornly push forward with them thats another

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
There are reports that the Opel Cascada may be brought to the US as a Buick, possibly under the Verano name. Dropping the 200 'vert would certainly encourage them to move ahead with it.

The Challenger would make a fine convertible, but that's not the market the Sebring/200 'vert served. I always thought of it as the car for real estate agents, like a cost conscious Infiniti G37 or Lexus IS 350. They're not driving them as sports or muscle cars, but upmarket, comfortable convertibles.

Perhaps the market outside of California isn't strong enough for them all, I couldn't say.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
abgwin said:
There are reports that the Opel Cascada may be brought to the US as a Buick, possibly under the Verano name. Dropping the 200 'vert would certainly encourage them to move ahead with it.

The Challenger would make a fine convertible, but that's not the market the Sebring/200 'vert served. I always thought of it as the car for real estate agents, like a cost conscious Infiniti G37 or Lexus IS 350. They're not driving them as sports or muscle cars, but upmarket, comfortable convertibles.

Perhaps the market outside of California isn't strong enough for them all, I couldn't say.
Ive seen those reports and I have to say the Cascada is a good looking car.

·
Registered
210 Posts
James Mooney said:
Next gen GranTurismo is supposed to be on the same platform as the next Challenger. The fact that a new GranCabrio is being planned, also on that platform, greatly increases the odds of a Challenger vert, as much of the development is already being done by Maserati, and a Challenger vert would help to amortize the engineering costs.
Yeah,that would be de way.

In the other hand, I would be dissapointed if the 200 vert is really cut off :scared:

21 - 31 of 31 Posts