Allpar Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,726 Posts
. . . Nope, will lower tank another day and go from there. . . .
I am thinking you are wise as one can do a smoke test but find no leak in a hose. The evaporative leak code is caused by something else.

Here is schematic that shows the components at the fuel tank that make up the evaporative emission system. The internal switch in the NVLD that closes and passes an electrical signal to the PCM for leak detection can fail. Corrosion / carbon can build up on the contact points. When the switch closes during leak testing, no electrical signal is passed to the PCM. The software then assumes there is a leak in the system when in fact no leak is present. There is an internal problem in the NVLD device.

2006 PT Cruiser Fuel Tank Assembly.gif

Here is a Y T video where someone dropped the fuel tank on a PT Cruiser and inspected the NVLD assembly. Looks like Chrysler engineers did NOT make it easy to access components.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDBfXen2d90

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So the part that I took bolt out of bracket and tried moving out of the way to get hand up in-between was the NVLD, I thought that's what it was but was not 100% sure.

I'm thinking maybe if I could remove the NVLD while tank is still up there, and if so possibly use air hose or even manual pump used to air up pool floats/river tubes, to see if air blows through that hose.

Also find my mityvac and see if air can be sucked through it.

This is, only if the hoses can be removed without lowering the tank.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So before digging in anymore, swapped gas caps with girlfriend's mom's pt cruiser, been over a week and no new codes.

Put some gas in last night but did not fill as usual, was at Am/Pm and remember they charge a fee to use debit card to buy gas, usually avoid that place but was very low, $10.00 bill brought it to just below half.

Will update what I find, but thinking new locking cap might be junk.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
So before digging in anymore, swapped gas caps with girlfriend's mom's pt cruiser, been over a week and no new codes.

Put some gas in last night but did not fill as usual, was at Am/Pm and remember they charge a fee to use debit card to buy gas, usually avoid that place but was very low, $10.00 bill brought it to just below half.

Will update what I find, but thinking new locking cap might be junk.
What brand of after-market cap did you get?

I have always had a locking gas cap on my PT, and when one wore out I bought a Stant brand. Shortly after installing that cap, had numerous warnings. I took that cap back and went back to a genuine MOPAR brand and have never had an issue.

Periodically I also use some O-ring grease on the seal.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I spoke too soon, after work got check engine light, have not used scanner yet but most likely same code.

The new locking cap is stant.

Guess I'll be pulling that part off tank soon.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Been fighting trying to get that part off, started by leaving it bolted in and using my long craftsman screwdriver to try to push one hose off, it's on there good.

Ok trying to get electrical connector off pump, can't see which way the red lock goes.

Took off passenger side fuel tank strap, loosened other strap some, tank tilted down on right but still hard to access.

Tank almost empty, 1/8 or lower.

Might lower whole tank, have to get that electrical connector off.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #27 (Edited)
Got the electrical plug undone, other than taking out the whole tank I'm stuck because the 2 hoses are NOT coming off, I tried using special pick tools to work all around, one is like a mini ice pick.

Exercised all around hose I could with mini ice pick type tool to separate hose from hard plastic, jammed red tube inside and sprayed liberal dose of WD40, still nothing, if car was newer I wonder if they would be so stuck on.

I'm thinking of making cuts in each hose, go back together with couplers to fix vacuum line.

To drop tank, driver side tank strap is obstructed by exhaust pipe, tried wiggling around.

WD40 threads on exhaust clamp bolt, to try to remove rear section of exhaust to gain access to tank strap bolt, used extension breaker bar, need impact, but don't want to bug neighbors, if I go this route will use electric impact tomorrow.

I'm seriously considering cutting those hoses and put back together if couplers are available.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have hesitated cutting the hoses, bought special hose removing pliers, these hoses are not budging even with leverage.

Thinking of giving up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
Cut both hoses, even with it out hoses don't come off grabbing part and pulling as hard as I can and twisting, will need to use mini pick to break free and WD40 to get these hoses off to put on new part.

Will use multimeter and test for continuity while using mouth to pull vacuum before buying a new one, mity vac too small for hoses.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Found the problem. First off was not able to test the part, need alligator clips, just bought new part.

No vacuum couplers at Advance Auto or AutoZone, today bought some at Ace hardware 1/2" barbed, also bought 2 feet of clear 1/2" inner diameter clear tubing to be able to blow air through the 2 hoses and pull air.

Started with line to filter, blasted dust out, was leary sucking in but did it, clear both ways.

Now hose that goes to charcoal canister, both ways clear, but hear air hissing out somewhere?

Got gf out to listen near gas cap with gas cap door open and cap on, not there, sounds like on top of tank.

Kept doing it and feeling around, heard pss pss sounds while my finger touching something, vent tube from tank to fill neck, moved behind car, hmm something looks like it's not factory.

Aluminum hose connecting hard plastic hose with a section of dry rotted vacuum line.

I'm going to get either a new hose assembly, or repeat the same repair for now if not available with new piece of vacuum hose, and clamps.

Think I'll see about returning the new NVLD.

A smoke test would have shown this, but all I needed was to blow through hose to hear the air hissing.

Now the dry rotted hose is off, the area around the PT Cruiser smells like gas, like my 1965 Chevy truck.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'm thinking this might be why the pump shuts off and car blows gas out if filling normal.

I slow it way down and listen and shut off pump to avoid spills.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Worked on car everyday starting Tuesday, even after work.

Friday night was too tired to mess with it after work, so finished it up last night, Saturday after work, put half tank in and went for a long drive.

Will see if the check engine light comes back.

Get older you have a lot more experience and skills working on cars, but your body has to recover from getting down under the car and back up over and over.

My back has been hurting all week from getting under car and back up, but will get better in a couple of days hopefully.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I'm crossing my fingers, but no check engine light so far.

Wanted to thank everyone for all the help and saving me from buying the part the goes in the engine bay, purge solenoid I think it was called.

After a few more drives will fill up and see if gas spits out at end.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Code came back, going to just hold off on messing with it for a while, maybe need to pull tank out and visually inspect everything, might buy smoke machine.

Still have the new NVLD, in case it's bad.

The old truck needs the Edelbrock fuel injection put on, just bought Borla cat back exhaust for the Corvette, it was a good sale for black friday couldn't resist.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts