Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a '72 Cuda. The car is extremely original. I have a question. The car currently has a vinyl roof however the fender tag says the roof should be body color. Did dealers install vinyl roofs? Thanks

·
Super Moderator
21,352 Posts
It would have been fairly easy for a dealer or subsequent owner to add a vinyl roof to the car. It could be de-vinyl roofed and put back to original by a body shop if you wish.
Or you may want to keep it as part of the car's life story and if you feel that it adds to the car's character. Vinyl roofs were very hip in the 1970's.

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
Yep, the dealer probably made more money adding a vinyl roof to a car than ordering a vinyl roof from the factory.

Mopar Collectors Guide did a couple features on dealer-added vinyl tops on the 1969 Dodge Charger Daytonas. In that case, I'd think it would be a unique and probably value adding feature if verified done when new.

It would be a tougher call on your car, but removing it might mean you end up painting the whole car.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
Dad has a '75 Fury where the back 1/3 of the roof was vinyl. I wasn't fond of it at the time, but looking back it was nice. His was white with burgundy colored vinyl and burgundy interior. His also had the 360 V8 that could barely get out its own way due to all the smog controls. I actually liked it better in some respects than my stepmother's '75 LeMans. The Fury had better ergonomics and rode smoother than the LeMans. The LeMans had a more responsive engine/transmission (this one had the 350 V8).

I do remember vinyl roofs had a tendency to get torn and then basically peel apart unless repaired right away.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. I personally like the roof and I would guess it has been on the car for most or all of its life.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
The interesting part would be identifying the bottom edge with the chrome and the metal pins that are welded to the body as being real, or if clips were screwed into the body to hold the chrome. If the chrome is missing, I just happen to have the original two pieces that go along the back below the rear window.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
I don't want to state the obvious, but make double sure you have interpreted the fender tag correctly. you may want to have others place additional sets of eyes on it to make sure.

Also, if you have the broadcast sheet, this would help verify it for sure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts