Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I plan to continue to utilise equal length drive lines in my 87 Shelby Z but need to drive the Z now. It is suffering from a near shot intermediate shaft carrier bearing; FWD is out for 4-6 weeks so I am considering using an unequal right axle to get it on the road.

I would like to know which of the cars can be used fo donors? I have found while troubleshooting this fault, that the R axle from an 87 T1 Sundance fit vwry well on the Daytona, are there any years/models Shadow/Sundance/Duster/Daytona/LeBaron/Caravan...that are the incorrect length or a different diameter R axle?

I am also interested in any other solutions.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You can use the unequal lengh shaft from any FWD K based car from 87-93. You can't use Mini van or L-body axles. I'm not sure on the big cars like the New Yorker/Imperial/Fifith Ave if those are the same.

I know what you are going through. After a year of having my Lebaron GTS in the garage working on it I put it back together and started driving and was getting a thump in the front end. Sometimes turning sometimes going straight and sometimes nothing. I took the Passenger side axle out and the inner joint was pulled out, but I couldn't seperate it from the intermediate shaft My friend had a spare intermediate shaft that was better than my 2 I had, and a core axle with a busted boot. Many years ago I had bought axles for my 91 Spirit Turbo and they had a lifetime warrenty on it, so I used that and warrentied an axle out. The loud thumping is now gone but every now and then i still feel something on that side that just isn't right, and I think it's the U-joint in the intermediate shaft.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1991Spirites;
Where I am not absolutely positive of the source of the noise, yet...all appearances are that it was, and remains, to a lesser extent the intermediate shaft carrier bearing.

I priced a new unequal R side axle yesterday, $42+tax; that is a hard solution to say no to. I only enjoy fixing things the right way but need this car on the road. The most pain comes from my appreciation of this machines abilities in completely stock form and the simple desire to maintain that.

Thank you for the reply, I will attempt to fight the urge to fetch a shaft from the yard and maybe fix it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
1991 Spirit... they had the Spirit R/T if you want a really good but probably expensive and hard to find front suspension for dealing with torque steer.

·
Registered
681 Posts
How much are the replacement bearings?
I have a new one I got in the 1980's for a Z I owned that I will never use.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JTE; I spoke with the FWD representative on last Friday, she quoted $100 for the housing and bearing (their housing is required to use their bearing) then replacement bearings are $40 after that.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I too was looking into the unequal lenght shaft when my started to make noise, but at $52.99 plus a $60.00 core, I think not. What I have works but I think the U-joint is starting to go. I guess once FWD gets the bearings I should get one also and then get a new U-joint in one the intermediate shafts I have. Back around 2000 I had a local drive shaft place rebuild my intermediate shaft out of my 87 GLHS and at that time it cost me $150.

Joe Normal said:
1991 Spirit... they had the Spirit R/T if you want a really good but probably expensive and hard to find front suspension for dealing with torque steer.
I had a regluar 91 Spirit Turbo. The only difference between the R/T and the regular cars(drive axle wise) was that the drive axle was thicker, and yes they are very hard to find. The intermediate shaft in the R/Ts were the same as the regular Turbo cars. I have an R/T axle somewhere.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1991Spirites; I did find an 89 Turbo Caravan with an unequal right side halfshaft/axle. It measures 36" and will work as a core anyway. I will compare it to the stock asle with the intermediate shaft installed and share the results.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The unequal axle will be here tomorrow, I hope the problem is only the intermediate shaft carrier bearing.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you God and everyone else that assisted me with this correction.

IT WAS INITIALLY A BAD INTERMEDIAT SHAFT CARRIER BEARING! Took her out today for a brief spin, what an absolutely pleasurable car to drive.

Despite being completely pleased with itKs stock performance, she is getting a tune up. Today was the drop-in K+N filter, tomorrow new Champion plugs, distributor cap/rotor, MSD Blaster 2 fresh oil and a filter. While I am at it I will verify the timing too.

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I ment to comment on...that I now understand what everyone means about "torque steer"! The right wheel will break free much easier during hard accelleration in a right hand turn, hard accelleration in a left turn pulls right and WOT strait pulls want to go to the right too; not as much as during a turn though.

I will be reinstalling the intermediate shaft with a new carrier bear and equal length shaft at the earliest convienence. It felt better that way and I desire my daughter to drive the safest configuration as practicle.

On the other hand...if this were the only solution, it is good, I can realy feel the difference though, so I will remain biased, yet acknoledge the practical and economic aspects of the un-equal shaft solution.

Thanks again for sharing your experiences!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts