Allpar Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having digital speedometor failures on an intermitant basis for a few days. Occasionally the car will die coming up to stop signs/lights. In my reading I am faily confident this is a VSS failing. I have new one in hand but sure can not locate the bugger. Everything I read says it is on the output shaft of the trasmission and to simply follow the speedo cable to it. According to the shop manual that is the speedo pinion NOT the speed sensor. Is this sensor part of the cruise servo? Elsewhere?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I follow the speedo cable from the cruise servo to the transmission it goes into a white round, single bolt retention unit which is the speedometor pinion and looks nothing like the black diamond I received as a replacement. There are also no wires at that end of the cable.

The only thing I have remotely found in the shop manuals is a notation in the wiring schmatics that the speed sensor is located in the speeedometor cable, left fender side shield. Danged if I can find any shield on the left side.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It jsut dawned on me that I have commited forum suicide by not including all my car specifics. This is a 2.2 turbo MFI. Cruise with digital dash.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that really is the beast how come there are no wires on the old one? THAT is why I am banging my head. The old white round one has no wires or plug on it. I can accept change round for diamond shape and praying that with no sealing ORing that it won;t leak... but there are no bloody wires down there. :frusty:

Whoops... New Yorker, so it is an auto.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Page 8-733, chart 18, top left. That is the only reference I have seen thus far.

y next step will be a full wire trace with crossed fingers and a glass of scotch... not necessarily in that order.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yup on both accounts from what I have read... but I have no cable from the servo to the dash. Now ya have a better understanding for why I am so baffled.

Than again this is the car that had TWO timing marks on the intermediate shaft and monster fuel injectors that didn't even come close to matching what any manual said should be in it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
hanks for the continued input folks. Oh I have no doubt that I have the wrong part for my car but the correct part for every other car out there. Trouble is there is no hint what the correct part is. As far as someone "messing with the car" there is not a hint of a chance. I know the history of the car from day one and I am the second owner. The old girl will FINALLLY be rolling over 50K this weekend. I will be doing a full wiring trace eventually to find this bugger.

Anyway, after spraying down engine compartment and undercarriage Sunday the speedo is working again. It is jsut postponing the eventual need to figure this out, but at least she is road worthy again. Feel free to keep the ideas coming. I am not at all afraid to play guinea pig and gut this thing to find a resolution so that someone in the future will have an answer.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I agree totally. THat's why I cross research a few sites for a part before calling and asking for a part number vs a part for "X". In this case everyone and every source (save for the shop manual) all point to and say the same unit Bob describes. Sadly the shop manual does not provide enough info for an alternate part or give a location outside of the vague note in the ETM. Oh well, her 50K mile oil change and air filter are done. Washed, vauumed and ready for her tyre rotation this weekend.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Correct. That is what is shown in the shop manual electrical section. I only found that by going page by page through the harness diagrams. However I have no such item. As noted above I have a simple cable from the tranny to the cruise. The output from the cruise is capped off from the factory.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Dang IE update HATES this site.

So as the old girl FINALLY rolled over 50K miles I am running through her midlife service and tune up. Oil and filters, rotate tyres, repack bearings, clean brakes etc. I got brave and fully removed the speedo cable. As expected there is no sensor to be found at either end, in the middle or anywhere near it. I have however removed cable from sheath and regreased it. :)

I am still up for ANY hints. Not at all opposed to yanking apart bits for an answer to help the next unlucky guy with this issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Yea I ahve seen that diagram in a few variations. Trouble is I have no such thing in my cable. There is also no such part listed with NAPA, Oreilly's or Autoparts Warehouse. I did stumble onto a few drawings showing the speed/distance sensor as being a seperate unit mounted to the transmission close to the starter. I haven;t checked for that yet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Howdy EEK fans. It's been another year and the old girl is up to her old tricks again. Erratic speedo anywhere from 0-85 regardless of speed. it seems to be something temperature related in that it only acts up when it is over about 80 outside. It never acts up first thing in the morning, always in the afternoon on hot days.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.