Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently my 09 VW Routan started, rather suddenly, shifting late and hard. I visually inspected the pan and saw a small leak. Thinking it may be low on fluid I dropped the pan to replace the fluid and filter. Inside the pan I found this a part of a gear. After looking around it looks like the teeth from one of the friction plates. I have no trouble codes and the vehicle still runs OK, although it shifts a little late and hard.

Is this likely an issue that a rebuild would correct? Or should I look at a remanufactured transmission? To complicate the issue; I'm stationed in Germany so getting a whole transmission, and returning a core, is challenging and possibly expensive.

I'd describe myself as a novice mechanic. Could I complete a rebuild? I have access to a shop so tools are not an issue. The local shop quoted me 2600 for a rebuild, which seems really high to me.

Thanks for any advice!

·
KOG
7,076 Posts
Rebuild? Do NOT try this at home. I've rebuilt several varieties of 3 speeds, and one 604 4 speed, got a 48RE in the shop right now. I suspect the 62TE (yeah, own one of those too, but lifetime powertrain warranty on that one.) is waaaaay more than you'll want to tackle. It will require some tools you don't have. Several of them. Just getting it in and out of the car will require a lift and a real transmission jack.

I'd be suspicious of the $2600 as being too low to do it right.

Reactions: Doug D

·
Super Moderator
21,621 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Diagnose and evaluate what you can with it in the vehicle first. If there are no fault codes in the TCM, pull the CVI values and any Event data from the TCM before determining the next move.
Some early compounder clutches had issues. That could mostly affect 1st, 3rd and 5th gears.
If heavy debris has been sent through the transaxle, you will want it thoroughly internally washed before a rebuild or replaced with a reman.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, nice to see a fellow Routan driver. I bought recently a used 09 model with 90k miles and it shifts harshly mostly between 2-3 also but this is documented all over the web. I agree with the others in that you should not attempt that repair on your own without proper tools, facilities and expert help. My last vehicle was a Buick Rendezvous and when I had that trans rebuilt it was around $2500 so your estimate is in the ballpark at least. Good luck and hope it works out as well as it can for ya

1 - 4 of 4 Posts