Allpar Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Ram 1500 3.6 Crew
7,180 Posts
I think I mentioned it in a reply to Erik above, but my wife has a Buick Encore which is pretty slow. So replacing her Encore with another slow vehicle isn’t exactly what she would want. Not to mention she’s more interested in a luxury CUV for her next vehicle, and that ain’t a Renegade (which it’s not meant to be).

Renegade isn’t a bad vehicle. I think putting a better drivetrain into it would do wonders though. Still not for us though, I’m a Wrangler/Gladiator guy and my wife prefers more luxury.
You sound like a normal couple.

·
Registered
346 Posts
I would have bought one if the power was decent. But the rentals I have had struggle to pass dump trucks.
W
I think I mentioned it in a reply to Erik above, but my wife has a Buick Encore which is pretty slow. So replacing her Encore with another slow vehicle isn’t exactly what she would want. Not to mention she’s more interested in a luxury CUV for her next vehicle, and that ain’t a Renegade (which it’s not meant to be).

Renegade isn’t a bad vehicle. I think putting a better drivetrain into it would do wonders though. Still not for us though, I’m a Wrangler/Gladiator guy and my wife prefers more luxury.
I would agree with that statement. I think the 1.3l is a better fit for the Renegade than the 2.4 the torque difference is night and day. Even though they both make about the same HP overall. Luxury is only a set Katzkin Leather seat covers away. There is the new Alfa Tonale which is a sportier version with a combined 256hp and 295 ft lbs of torque from what I have heard Alfa has priced them right this time. But then again with parts shortages and every dealer charging arm and a leg plus I would hold on to what you have for a while longer sooner or later the bubble has to burst. I saw a article on the New Nissan Z Proto Editions with a $50k additional market adjustment that would be $100k for a Nissan Z not the GTR

·
Jeepaholic
6,962 Posts
W

I would agree with that statement. I think the 1.3l is a better fit for the Renegade than the 2.4 the torque difference is night and day. Even though they both make about the same HP overall. Luxury is only a set Katzkin Leather seat covers away. There is the new Alfa Tonale which is a sportier version with a combined 256hp and 295 ft lbs of torque from what I have heard Alfa has priced them right this time. But then again with parts shortages and every dealer charging arm and a leg plus I would hold on to what you have for a while longer sooner or later the bubble has to burst. I saw a article on the New Nissan Z Proto Editions with a $50k additional market adjustment that would be $100k for a Nissan Z not the GTR
No leather for us, we’re vegan, and FCA never thought providing leather alternatives for people like us was a priority (other than cloth in base models). Perhaps with new management they may feel differently, we shall see.

And with prices the way they are, and my wife saying she is content to hold on to her Encore for a while, we can afford to wait. A Gladiator or similar will come first in another year or so, to replace my Mustang. I’d rather have an option for vinyl or fake leather for a Jeep (I’d rather have an easy wipe-off surface), but I’d settle for cloth.

·
Registered
346 Posts
No leather for us, we’re vegan, and FCA never thought providing leather alternatives for people like us was a priority (other than cloth in base models). Perhaps with new management they may feel differently, we shall see.

And with prices the way they are, and my wife saying she is content to hold on to her Encore for a while, we can afford to wait. A Gladiator or similar will come first in another year or so, to replace my Mustang. I’d rather have an option for vinyl or fake leather for a Jeep (I’d rather have an easy wipe-off surface), but I’d settle for cloth.
Believe or not Katzkin also have Vegan options as well. I live in Texas and out here I wouldn't want leather anyways. Something a flesh sizzling in the Texas Sun is not my cup of tea.

·
Jeepaholic
6,962 Posts
Believe or not Katzkin also have Vegan options as well. I live in Texas and out here I wouldn't want leather anyways. Something a flesh sizzling in the Texas Sun is not my cup of tea.
As I recall, my TJ had cloth seats, which were much more enjoyable to sit upon after baking in the sun when the top was down. Up in central NY it wasn’t really an issue, but when I moved back to Philly with much hotter summers, it was noticeable.

·
Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I miss the old woven cloth of the late K-car era, e.g. Shadow/Sundance. Comfortable, stain resistant, wore like iron, yet soft. Looking at the premium leather of the (2013) 300C is interesting, it's thin as can be, but soft, very soft, and it wears shockingly well; we passed 100,000 miles and the seats look brand new, with minimal if any care. The seats on my Dart just look cheep but they feel OK ... and even the 300 leather scalded me the last time I got in and it had been sitting in the sun on a 97° day. (The ventilation really helped, though!)

To a large degree this stuff is all about the 80% — of dealerships who order. I wonder if factories are getting more custom orders now that you can't really buy off showroom lots, and if they are taking notes of what actual buyers want vs dealership purchasers. It seems to me dealers like to buy for the 80% of customers and companies like to build for the 80% of dealers, so you end up with either the same 80% or just 64%...

·
Registered
1979 Lincoln Town Car, 1987 Chevrolet Silverado, 1990 Chrysler Imperial
2,595 Posts
I miss the old woven cloth of the late K-car era, e.g. Shadow/Sundance. Comfortable, stain resistant, wore like iron, yet soft. Looking at the premium leather of the (2013) 300C is interesting, it's thin as can be, but soft, very soft, and it wears shockingly well; we passed 100,000 miles and the seats look brand new, with minimal if any care. The seats on my Dart just look cheep but they feel OK ... and even the 300 leather scalded me the last time I got in and it had been sitting in the sun on a 97° day. (The ventilation really helped, though!)

To a large degree this stuff is all about the 80% — of dealerships who order. I wonder if factories are getting more custom orders now that you can't really buy off showroom lots, and if they are taking notes of what actual buyers want vs dealership purchasers. It seems to me dealers like to buy for the 80% of customers and companies like to build for the 80% of dealers, so you end up with either the same 80% or just 64%...
Do you treat the leather in the 300?

·
Administrator
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Interesting that it's still in great shape then.
Indeed. I suspect it's been processed to within an inch of its life. Regardless it looks better than my neighbor's 2018-or-so VW did after one year.

·
Administrator
40,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I wonder if some of these companies even use real leather even when they say they do.
I'm sure it's real leather - augmented to be Better Than Leather™. Which is good, IMHO.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts