Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of possibly buying a GLH Turbo. Have always been a fan of these, but IDK how much they are worth. The guy who is willing to sell it to me told me, "idk if it's worth $500 or $5,000. I want to be fair to you, but also I want to be fair to myself." Well he can't find anything about what it's worth and after looking online I can't either. Soooo I'm gonna tell you what I know about the vehicle and maybe you guys can help me out.

1. It was a stripper's car that got impounded and he's never seen it run, but supposedly it was running before being impounded.
2. it has a straight body with faded blue paint and flats on the original aluminum rims, all the way around.
3. None of the doors open due to door handles being broke, but the glass is good all the way around.
4. the Odometer says 30 so thousand but after looking at the wear on the bake and clutch peddle it is most likely 130k
5. It is a GLH Turbo with a Blue Texas title

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
It really depends on the area that you are in. I just did a basic search on craigslist in austin TX for used cars to compare them to the high demand market that I live in (southeast VA) and some cars that are usually 3K-4K are about $1K. So assuming your used car market is mild, I'd say it the Omni would fetch a low price. Nada lists a low price of $1265. I wouldn't pay anymore than that for the GLH based on the condition you listed above.

·
Registered
3 Posts
it depends on what year and what number it is out of the 500 made and how many miles it has. The lower the number the more expensive it is
EX: number 300 of 500 with 30k miles in good condition would be worth about 7k but a 100 out of 500 with the same amount of miles in the same condition would be worth 10k

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
I'd offer him a thousand bucks for it if it were me. You don't know the mileage for sure and you really don't even know if it runs or not and how much you're going to have to put into and get it running. The fuel system will definitely have to be gone through with possible removal of the tank for cleaning, maybe new fuel pump, filter etc. It will add up quickly.

·
Registered
182 Posts
chicken said:
it depends on what year and what number it is out of the 500 made and how many miles it has. The lower the number the more expensive it is
EX: number 300 of 500 with 30k miles in good condition would be worth about 7k but a 100 out of 500 with the same amount of miles in the same condition would be worth 10k
The "500" were the 1986 GLHS editions, and they will have Carroll Shelby's signature on the dashboard above the glove box where the "omni" logo usually sits. However, all of the GLHS cars were black. You could always run a carfax using the VIN, since that's visible through the windshield, and get a model year for it. Sounds like you're looking at a GLH-T instead, which is a factory turbo package but still potent - seem to be a number of them out on the drag circuit from time to time).

130K makes more sense for mileage, since the odometers used on L-cars rolled over at 100K. I know when I got my base model the brake pedal was quite worn at 108K (8K shown)

If you do carfax it, you can then get onto something like the Kelly Blue Book site and get a rough idea of value, based on mileage and estimated condition.

If the previous owner bought it off the impound lot, does he have the keys (both the angular one for ignition/doors and the round one for the hatch/glove box)? Don't think they ever changed the L-cars over to single-key, but I also don't think the GLH models went much past 87 anyway.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No guys it is a Sante Fe Blue GLH turbo and he said I could have it for $800... what y'all think?

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
That sounds like a good deal to me. Get it.

·
Super Moderator
36,921 Posts
I think for $800 I would do it. I'd have a hard time pulling the trigger if it was $1000.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts