Allpar Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided I want to buy a 99-04 GC. Besides the obvious things to look for such as leaks etc, what should I be looking for if anything to help avoid a turd? I see the 4.0 and 4.7 have similar gas mileage, I know the 4.0 is a good reliable (as far as I know) engine, but is there any problems with the 4.7?

·
Super Moderator
21,364 Posts
Very similar to looking at any used vehicle.
Make sure that all electrical items, parking brake and t/case selections work.
Drive it for unusual noises, vibrations or whirring/growling axle carrier bearings. It should drive strong, straight and quiet.
The 4.7L had the 45RFE transmission behind it. Both have held up well.
Keeping the service maintainence records and a clean vehicle show that the owner was conscientious and caring about the vehicle.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
In addition to what IC said, check the rear axle. I'm not sure what year they solved the problem but quite a few of the Aluminum Dana 44's had carrier and axle bearing issues. By using the VIN, some dealers will be nice enough to run you a repair history.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have settled on an 03 or 04. Since the gas mileage is the same I will look for a 4.7. This is a scarey situation for me, the last newish car I bought for me was my 93 plymouth in .......93. So the thought of having to make payments + having to make a major repair is a bit unnerving. I bought an old Ford ranger from a guy I work with last year and it needed alot more than he or me thought it did, but at least I paid cash for that, anyway I'll let you know what I find, thanks for the replies.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I think I have settled on an 03 or 04. Since the gas mileage is the same I will look for a 4.7. This is a scarey situation for me, the last newish car I bought for me was my 93 plymouth in .......93. So the thought of having to make payments + having to make a major repair is a bit unnerving. I bought an old Ford ranger from a guy I work with last year and it needed alot more than he or me thought it did, but at least I paid cash for that, anyway I'll let you know what I find, thanks for the replies.
Keep us posted on your purchase.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So 3 weeks into the search on a Sunday I find a 2004 Limited V8 sitting in the service lot at the local Jeep dealer. I call about it next day and the guy tells me it was sold, it has 49k on it a real cream puff. He took my name and number and said if the financing falls through he will give me a call. I drive by several days later and it is gone...... oh well I keep looking. In VT I find nothing but rusty junk. 2 weeks later after my last trip to VT my wife says how about we swing by the jeep dealer on our way home maybe they have something new. I roll into the lot and the same one from 2 weeks ago is on the lot. The guy who bought it never picked it up and was having marital problems. So now it's mine what a great find! I don't think I could find a better one where I live. It even has a remote starter, nice red paint, excellent wheels, new tires etc. :thumbsup:

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Cool!
Love a happy ending!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah I love it so far but the mileage is gonna take some getting used to from my old 93 Sundance. I got 18 mostly hwy miles so far which I am ok with thats about what I expected. At least the gas prices have fell a bit lately :)

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I'd be real happy if my Wrangler got 18! Our Liberty with V6 gets 14-16 mpg combined around town, so 18 mpg from a V8 is pretty good!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts