Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Administrator
294 Posts
Anyone remember the OLD forum systems?

WebBBS (still in use here and there, unbelievably! I wish it was still maintained, it was VERY flexible!!)

Ultimate Bulletin Board (UBB)

InvisionBoard (IPB)

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,967 Posts
I remember the site pre InvisionBoard (I think). Early 90's?

·
The "Front-Line" Perspective
3,245 Posts
Has AllPar been running on member funding since its inception, or was there a time (or still) where the Staff Members were coming out of pocket to keep the site running?

·
Super Moderator
37,703 Posts
I joined in January of 2003, but had been reading for 4 or 5 years prior I'd guess.

·
Administrator
35,962 Posts
Has AllPar been running on member funding since its inception, or was there a time (or still) where the Staff Members were coming out of pocket to keep the site running?
We first got funding in 1997, from a $30/month ad which paid for the $30/month cost of running the site. At the time, I was the director of market research, or at least that was my job title, for a college. (The title was available and rather than go through the work of creating a new job, they used the old title. I didn't know anything about market research.)

I basically ran Allpar in whatever spare time I had, the odd lunch breaks and such, for a few years after that. Then a company called Luna Network came and started buying space — for big bucks, as in a few thousand dollars a month. I was able to go part-time at my regular job and part-time at Allpar.

Luna died but I ended up running allpar full time. I had a couple of truly poor years and a couple of truly good years, and am sliding back into poor years now, but we've generally been ad-funded with user funds allowing for luxuries like a faster server, better backups, and decent forum software. If you’ve priced individual health insurance for someone my age, you’ll know why I/we need ad-funding. (It’s $700/month lower now than it was four years ago, which is helpful!)

I still do professional work part-time, but I’m going to need to do more to make up the gap.

·
3,245 Posts
We first got funding in 1997, from a $30/month ad which paid for the $30/month cost of running the site. At the time, I was the director of market research, or at least that was my job title, for a college. (The title was available and rather than go through the work of creating a new job, they used the old title. I didn't know anything about market research.)

I basically ran Allpar in whatever spare time I had, the odd lunch breaks and such, for a few years after that. Then a company called Luna Network came and started buying space — for big bucks, as in a few thousand dollars a month. I was able to go part-time at my regular job and part-time at Allpar.

Luna died but I ended up running allpar full time. I had a couple of truly poor years and a couple of truly good years, and am sliding back into poor years now, but we've generally been ad-funded with user funds allowing for luxuries like a faster server, better backups, and decent forum software. If you’ve priced individual health insurance for someone my age, you’ll know why I/we need ad-funding. (It’s $700/month lower now than it was four years ago, which is helpful!)

I still do professional work part-time, but I’m going to need to do more to make up the gap.
Well thank you Dave. That's a great story. You are appreciated.

·
3,245 Posts
Thanks, Bobbi!
Total side note - I cannot fathom having to worry about health care. I hope there is a day where Americans know that health is a part of their freedom, and shouldn't ever put their finances at risk. I hope that goes well also.

·
Super Moderator
32,250 Posts
Medical bills are the number one reason for homelessness in this nation.

Reactions: Dave Z

·
3,245 Posts
It is a MAJOR worry for me. I have to get individual plans and I have the pre-existing condition of all pre-existing conditions. My insurance company from last year is gone now, so my policy is new...
Come to Canada Dave, we'll take care of yah eh.

·
Administrator
35,962 Posts
I suspect alcohol abuse, drug abuse and metal illness are the main reasons for homelessness in the US.
There have been LOTS of studies. You can go anecdotal, you can look at homeless shelter records, you can look at NUMEROUS research pieces. It is incredibly well documented.

My wife started a soup kitchen and I helped at an administrative level for a while; also, I worked with Department of Homeless Services in NYC (as a consultant, only), so I'm aware of just how much work was put into finding the causes of homelessness, especially under Mayor Mike Bloomberg.

“Persons with severe mental illness represented about 26 percent of all sheltered homeless persons (Annual Homeless Assessment Report to Congress, 2008).” People who ran soup kitchens in the 1980s will remember when, so to speak, the loonies were released from the asylums, with no preparation, help, or resources. That is also a major problem.

And of course the addicts and alcoholics. But the ones you don't see much, who don't get in your face, are the WORKING homeless.

·
Super Moderator
32,250 Posts
Any proof of this?

I suspect alcohol abuse, drug abuse and metal illness are the main reasons for homelessness in the US.
Census: Medical Expenses Put 10.6 Million Americans in Poverty

The Homelessness Connection In Health Care | The Huffington Post
"It’s worth noting here that the leading cause of bankruptcy in the United States is medical expenses, insured or not."

Only in America: Medical Bankruptcy & Homelessness
In America:

1. Illness and medical bills were linked to at least 62.1% of all personal bankruptcies in 2007. Based on the current bankruptcy filing rate, medical bankruptcies will total 866,000 and involve 2.346 million Americans this year – about one person every 15 seconds.
  1. Most medically bankrupt families were middle class before they suffered financial setbacks. 60.3% of them had attended college and 66.4% had owned a home; 20% of families included a military veteran or active-duty soldier.
  1. 78% of the individuals whose illness led to bankruptcy had health insurance at the onset of the bankrupting illness; 60% had private insurance.
  1. 69% of debtor families had coverage at the time of their bankruptcy filing; 60% of families had continuous coverage.
Surprise, medical bankruptcy is also linked to losing your home, and to homelessness. Duh.

Reactions: Dave Z

·
Administrator
35,962 Posts
Thanks, Bob. I did a quick Google search but found nothing except unsubstantiated claims from left and right. Yet, I knew there were good sources that I saw ... years ago, admittedly.

I suspect ACA has changed the numbers quite a bit, because the major problem before ACA was people THINKING they had good insurance, making a claim, and finding out that many insurance companies were better at burying people with lawyers than actually paying claims. Indeed, some companies seemed to pay more to deny claims, than to allow them. (Remember The Incredibles’ fictionalization?) ... having been in the market in both cases, I can say that I much prefer knowing that they can’t say “You had a genetic predisposition towards cancer, therefore we won’t pay,” or “How do we know that cancer is from your time with us, and not before?” (The latter is actually from Bill Clinton, and the Republicans have said they would preserve “care of pre-existing conditions provided you can prove an unbroken chain of insurance.” Bill’s law had a 90 day grace period. Either way, if you EVER were un-insured in your life for more than 90 days, you could prepare for an argument! And those papers sent by insurers at the end of the year certifying insurance... gotta keep those.)

You always think it can’t happen to you until it does.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts