Allpar Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the article:

The moose test aims to assess how well vehicles can avoid a rapidly appearing obstacle. As a worst-case scenario, it often gives way to two-wheeled antics, tire blowouts, and a fair share of cone fatalities. Km77’s latest video showcases how the latest Fiat 500e takes on the challenge.

Full article here:

Watch Fiat 500e Take On The Fearsome Moose Test (motor1.com)

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
This is on dry asphalt and perfect conditios....
- in real world conditions like rain or even worse snow its pretty much up to the tyres since you are now were nere to meet the vehicles capacity.
I have one really big thing to share with you and thats the iceroad driving comparason between our firebrigade Nissan Navara shod with new Hakka studded wheel and the old Volvo tanker ( a normally big truck, with rear boogie.) and shod with 10 year old hard as ice puck studless wintertires.
- the tanker made it safley within 5 km/h less speed ( 65 vs 70) but while it slipped earlier despite its frankly lousy tires it was way more predictable were it would end up. This contradicts my earlier statement..i know but the Nissan is a complete disater when it comes to skid handling, you never know when its starting or at what end it skids, it also changed between understeer and oversteer
during skidding. The Volvo tanker was a bit lazy to steer and the turned to oversteer, complety predictable.( note that this is with 25 000 pounds of water in a tank thats sits quite high on the frame since its a load changer.)
What we have her is one vehicle thats quite well balanced ( note that the tanker behaved about the same unloaded.) vs the catastropic Nissan pick up..It was a distaer no way how whe loaded it.
- so yes vehicle set up do play arole but the Nissan performs quite well under perfect conditions were it would have outrun the tanker, for some reasons we leave the Nissa at station end rely on our pumper when we are in a hurry during winter despite its not a fire..The Nissan is just plain dangerous.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts