Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'95 Cirrus w/2.5, Water by-pass pipe has corrosion failure and the parts is no longer available at the dealer and Dorman Auto is not yet producing them. I even combed thru eBay with no luck. Is there a mod out there to make something else work?

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Pine Belt Chrysler Jeep in Lakewood, NJ shows one on the shelf. Call them on Monday at (732)-719-0199 and arrange purchase and shipping with them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I couldn't believe how difficult it is to find find a used by-pass pipe in good/re-usable condition, but finally did.

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
i'm glad you found one. Usually a yard won't sell a part off of a working engine and the non-working ones get sent for recycling ASAP (especially aluminum).

·
Registered
908 Posts
Have you tried calling a Mitsubishi dealer? I've had some luck refering customers to them, but it's hit and miss. Unfortunately, no Chrysler dealers show it in stock on our parts locator.

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Chrysler may be totally out of them. You might try your friendly, local Mitsubishi dealer for ordering or a national search or investigate the international (russian, european, etc) website part availability that shows up in a Google search.
No doubt that these are becoming rare until a vendor reproduces replacement ones? Best of Luck to you.

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
Yes, it is a Mitsubishi part number. I have a '98 JX with the Mitsubishi 2.5L engine also.
Has your old tube corroded? Keeping the HOAT coolant and distilled water 50/50 mixture fresh every 5 years is important for reducing antifreeze-caused corrosion. The heads, radiator and water pump are aluminum.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Per my mechanic--everything else is fine. It's just that 1 piece---I had a leak which is caused by the 2 rubber hoses connected, and when they saw the 2 rubber hoses, they noticed how badly rusted out the Pipe was--hence why we want to replace it. I'm planning on calling the closest Mitsubishi dealer and hoping for good luck!

Will Update once I hear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Also: Is the Pipe just more susceptible to rust? Cause it isn't corroded persay--I could technically drive it and be perfectly fine, but with how much rust is on it, no one knows how soon it would cause significant leaks and such

·
Registered
908 Posts
We replace a lot of these on the 3.0 engines. Almost every one of them gets a pin hole under the o-ring where it seals into the other tube and the water pump. If yours begins to leak, I suspect that's where it'll start.

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
It looks like the same part, but why 3 different part numbers? MD322430 and MD198102 and MD315274 are all listed for the 1999 Sebring 2.5L engine.
Possibly one is for the Sebring DiamondStar coupe which was a different vehicle than the domestic convertible. The convertible was built closer to the Cirrus sedan body. I don't have the Mitsubishi parts catalog.
MD198102 does show in the 1998 JX parts catalog. The Dorman tube may work.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts