Allpar Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
It sounds more like a lifter making the noise. Does the frequency of the knock seem longer than a noisy lifter would be? My PT has made that noise since around 80,000 miles, especially when cold. Now at over 263,000 miles, it still makes that noise when cold, but still seems fine.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
IC has the right approach. Take the splash shield off and try to locate the noise. The lifter noise may be difficult to accurately locate the noise, since it may be deceiving. But, like others have suggested, it could be a tensioner, or even connecting rod noise, etc. sounds like it is external to the block, it could be the a tensioner (accessory belt or timing belt), a belt itself, etc. If it sounds internal to the engine, then I would go with a lifter first, then consider something like a connecting rod. At that point, your choice is to just watch it to see if it gets worse, especially in warmer weather, or try to fix it. I would tend to keep an eye on it, but there are others here with plenty of good experience and great experience that may feel otherwise.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.