Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off there is no problem with the car that I can tell , but about 2 months ago I started noticing a water gurgle/sloshing type sound when taking off from a red light.

To me it sounds like it's right behind the steering wheel, my girlfriend has heard it too from passenger seat and sounds to her like it's on passenger side behind dash.

Maybe heater core with air pockets, or maybe overflow tank on firewall.

No overheating, no loss of coolant.

Anyone else ever hear this sound?

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
. . . but about 2 months ago I started noticing a water gurgle/sloshing type sound when taking off from a red light. . . .

To me it sounds like it's right behind the steering wheel, my girlfriend has heard it too from passenger seat and sounds to her like it's on passenger side behind dash. . . .
If heater core was leaking you would tend to have a sweet odor from the coolant so I believe your heater core is not the culprit. Check the condensate drain on the air conditioner plenum housing. It protrudes through the firewall into the engine compartment. It drains condensation from humid air passing over the evaporator when the air conditioner is operating and cooling the cabin. That drain has become plugged.

Remove the wire clip that holds the drain elbow at the firewall. Check to make sure it is clear. You may need to insert a pipe cleaner or small wire into the horizontal drain to free debris that could be blocking the drain. Expect a gush of water when you "unconstipate" the drain. See attached image.

Condensate Drain A C.gif

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,035 Posts
I have also had to clear the drains on the rockers under the left and right doors and at the bottom of the doors themselves, especially in wooded areas. The cowl/sunroof/wiper plenum empties into the rockers.
The water can overflow onto the carpet and cause odors. It can also rust out the rockers if allowed to sit.

·
Valued Member
2,574 Posts
Funny water story. Bought a new 1974 Dodge Dart Sport in 1974. One day after a heavy rain I got in the car and started backing down the driveway. As I hit the incline water started running out of the glove box. I stopped and opened the glove box and found it full of water with all the car documents floating around. Found a gap in the window seal, sealed it with RTV and that was that.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Ditto on the ac box drain. Had this happen on Dad’s brand new 84 Fifth Ave. years ago. The drain plug installed by factory had too long of a turn-down leg. Putting it too near the exh. manifold and melted the rubber tube shut. Dealer nipped about a half inch off and we were good to go.

Reactions: multimopes

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
I have also had to clear the drains on the rockers under the left and right doors and at the bottom of the doors themselves, especially in wooded areas. The cowl/sunroof/wiper plenum empties into the rockers.
The water can overflow onto the carpet and cause odors. It can also rust out the rockers if allowed to sit.

I noticed a damp floor on my 65 Monaco a few times after a heavy rain. (Car doesn’t see rain very often these days) While replacing the carpet last year I had to remove the kick-panels under the dash. Sure enough 55 years of leaves and pine needles dropping through the cowl vents had finally blocked the drains.

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
I never wash my vehicles in the dead of winter any more, unless there's a place to let it dry. When it thaws the water comes out of everywhere... sorta

·
Super Moderator
32,511 Posts
My brother had a 76 Plymouth Feather Duster, red with white vinyl roof and manual sunroof. One day after it had rained, we backed out of the driveway, drove uphill, then turned and went downhill; at which point a huge wave of water rolled toward the front of the sunroof and spilled all over my lap.

·
Registered
1,927 Posts
Sounds like the rear drain tubes were blocked.
I spent one nightshift on the line at Dodge Main installing those four tubes.

·
Virginia Gentleman
15,172 Posts
Check the doors themselves. Had an old and abused Neon. The left rear passenger door was full of water. Door was seldom opened. I had to drill out the drain holes at the bottom.
Yep. When we had our 2010 Journey, wife kept hearing water sloshing the driver's side rear door. There was a tape covered hole towards the bottom. I removed the tape and sure enough, a stream of water came out. Never did figure out how the water got in there.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
Yep. When we had our 2010 Journey, wife kept hearing water sloshing the driver's side rear door. There was a tape covered hole towards the bottom. I removed the tape and sure enough, a stream of water came out. Never did figure out how the water got in there.
Rain, washing the car, anything really. Windows aren't perfectly sealed at teh bottom so water gets past and then drains

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is a good possibility that you are correct about air in the cooling system. I would recommend going to the dealer and buying a new radiator cap and then following the bleeding procedure for getting the air out. Youtube is your friend.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's not the A/C condensate drain, before in daylight could not see tube and was going to get car in air to look.

Tonight pulling spark plug, looked in area with flashlight and saw the tube, pulled it not blocked, blasted water through rubber tube anyways.

Also got a cleaning brush and pushed into and out of drain pipe while spinning, dry no water at all.

Maybe it's water in some body panel, weird it comes and goes.

Right now it's almost 120 here in Phoenix Arizona area and dry, so not too worried, in July and August monsoon season starts and get more rain, will try to pay attention if sound is worse after rain.

Also washing car could do it also.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Monsoon season is here in Phoenix area, it rained a lot this morning.

Later drove car and the water sound was even more sloshy than I've ever heard since noticing the sound in February or so.

No leaves or anything, should I try taking those plastic panels off and look inside to where they go?

Now it's humid the A/C is dripping condensate, and I physically checked that drain before.

GF said the car used to do this water sound for her too.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts