Allpar Forums banner

21 - 40 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Can someone please tell me what I am missing? Are we talking about a road course? If so, I thought everyone said the challenger was never a contender.

Is 11.4 in the quarter the time they ran? Or is it 10 something.

And even then...did they beat 9.65? Very confused.

·
Defender of Reality
2,944 Posts
Maybe that is his point...not sure...but I would not agree. The Challenger is not a "sports car" which is what the Mustang and Camaro have become. Doesn't mean its no less fun to throw around a curvy road.
My point is the hardware and software has already been developed and in the parts bin from the Demon/1320, so why not offer as an option for the top-end Hellcats? Or better yet, include it? Or is the suspension so different that the car won't go around corners???
The suspension on the Demon/1320 is incredibly different, especially at the rear. It’s designed to allow weight transfer rearward significantly to maximize traction. While that is great at the drag strip, it would be awful around corners on the track.

Reactions: Zagnut27

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
GT500 put train lengths on the Redeye. Ford finally got back on top.
Cars.com Managed to get Dodges Claim of 10.8 for the Red eye..... Thats not Train Lengths to me. and it really comes down to Tires. GT500 wears 315's right? IF Dodge was to use the Vipers brand of Tire (forgot the name?) in 305's it could match it. those are stickier than the Pirelli's

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
I think a cool comparison would be to put 4 6 foot 200 lbs adults in these 3 cars and send them to the road coarse, the drag strip, and then a 500 mile timed road course.

Bet there would be a clear winner!
LOL! Mustang is a 2 seater. Well, maybe 3 if the guy in back sits sideways.
Challenger rear seat fits me and I'm 6'1". But, I do prefer driving instead. :cool:

·
Defender of Reality
2,944 Posts
The ford also has to be shipped out to Shelby to attain these numbers where the challenger is built at the plant and is a real factory built hot rod.
Um...no. Ford hasn’t shipped anything out to Shelby in years for the factory Shelby program. They do still ship GTs to Shelby American for Shelby American’s cars, but the GT350 and GT500 roll off the line at Flat Rock.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Yeah...what am I missing as well? 11.4 and 11.5? Lol. Ill stick with my trackhawk that ran 11.4 at clay city ky...then i stopped and got 10 bags of mulch at lowes...lol
Sitting here wondering how many bags of mulch I can fit in the Challenger with the seats down. Not that I need to with a Grand Cherokee.

Reactions: HotCarNut and tlc

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
As I'm aware competitors are not making muscle car. They are making pony cars. Of course that muscle will weigh more.
Ironic because if today's Challenger 392 et al was available in the 1960's; it would've been a de facto muscle car in being a two door, having a 380+ CID V8, as well as comparable wheelbases (116"-117"), to a Super Bee/Road Runner/R/T/GTX. :)

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The early challengers were built on the b body platform, they were big then too. Never really were a pony car. They were a muscle car, just like today.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Must be small bags of mulch. My '06 Dodge Ram SLT Short Bed barely held 25 bags in the bed.
Standard 2cubic feet. Did you fill up the back seat and front passenger seat?
Mind you this is my utility/winter beater/ spare car situation. I don’t recommend that you do it. The smell of mulch tends to linger, and it’s best to clean leaks before you dye the leather....

·
Administrator
35,539 Posts
The early challengers were built on the b body platform, they were big then too. Never really were a pony car. They were a muscle car, just like today.
No, they weren't... they were built on a new E-body platform that combined parts of the A and B. Smaller than any B-body. Chargers were B-bodies.

·
Administrator
35,539 Posts
Can someone please tell me what I am missing? Are we talking about a road course? If so, I thought everyone said the challenger was never a contender.
Everyone said that, but one of the glossies ran them on a road course and found they did very well anyway. Not the Demon but the regular Hellcats.

·
Jeepaholic
5,626 Posts
Standard 2cubic feet. Did you fill up the back seat and front passenger seat?
Mind you this is my utility/winter beater/ spare car situation. I don’t recommend that you do it. The smell of mulch tends to linger, and it’s best to clean leaks before you dye the leather....
You’ve got yourself a CUV...Charger Utility Vehicle. :)

I didn’t mind hauling mulch in the back of my Liberty. It sure smelled a whole heckuva lot better than the dogs. :D

Reactions: Doug D and sickboy

·
Registered
951 Posts
The GT500 news went out the window when GM dropped that C8 Corvette at $59,995 starting MSRP. The C8 with minor options will smoke every domestic car on the market in media testing later this year, and will do it for less money.

So, at the end of the day, I'd say the GT500 will trail Hellkitten and C8 in sales by a wide margin.

·
Premium Member
20,094 Posts
Bottom line is, all three cars can be bought from a dealership, whether it was built outside the factory assembly line or not, so that is not a disqualification. The Mustang is indeed faster, one can yell tires, tires, tires, all day long, it's still faster. Weight is an issue and always has been for Mopars, they are just built a little bit sturdier, which I don't have a problem with, but in this day and age, and with the technology of stronger and lighter, well, time to take a little bit of that knowledge and make them about 400 lbs lighter than they are now, THEN we can see if the numbers still stand up.

Reactions: wtxiceman
21 - 40 of 70 Posts