Allpar Forums banner

What do you do with your Door Dings?

4824 Views 10 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  ptschett
Got 2 very small and not very deep door dings on the right rear door. Auto is a 2009 Altima but this should be the same for any car. Both dings are on the very flat surface.

What do you people do to fix yours? I noticed they sell a small slide hammer where you glue the little plastic piece that fits over the ding and they pull it out that way. This method would seem to work for my dings because they are so shallow.

This is the type of things I would like to tinker around with and fix myself. But on the other hand I want the job done right so is it best just to take it to a shop that does paintless dent repair? Have looked at YouTube videos and the PDR work that is done is quite impressive. Also over the years where a dealership had hail damage vehicles you would see these places pop up that fix hail damaged cars.

Have heard that one fix is to use heat and dry ice to level out small dents. Any truth to this method. So how do you people fix your door dings? Many thanks!
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Super Moderator
12,318 Posts
I am an advocate of paintless dent repair. A friend who owns a body shop is certified in it. I did it myself on my 84 Daytona with a spoon and 3 hours of patience. It came out well for an amateur.

Before:

After:

· Super Moderator
12,318 Posts
The photos look better than it really is. I did press one small point a little too far out, and if you look very closely, there is a tiny star-shaped crack in the paint. Other areas are not quite out all the way.

I just removed the interior panel of the hatchback and reached in with a regular teaspoon and started pressing and rubbing slowly. MANY strokes. Stopped often to look at it and decide where to work the metal next. Did it all at ambient 70-80F weather outside, no heat or cooling applied. Best of all, it was free. If I ever restore the car, I'll have a pro finish it, or have to use a light layer of filler.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.