Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got 2 very small and not very deep door dings on the right rear door. Auto is a 2009 Altima but this should be the same for any car. Both dings are on the very flat surface.

What do you people do to fix yours? I noticed they sell a small slide hammer where you glue the little plastic piece that fits over the ding and they pull it out that way. This method would seem to work for my dings because they are so shallow.

This is the type of things I would like to tinker around with and fix myself. But on the other hand I want the job done right so is it best just to take it to a shop that does paintless dent repair? Have looked at YouTube videos and the PDR work that is done is quite impressive. Also over the years where a dealership had hail damage vehicles you would see these places pop up that fix hail damaged cars.

Have heard that one fix is to use heat and dry ice to level out small dents. Any truth to this method. So how do you people fix your door dings? Many thanks!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just checked and mine are around the size of a dime and not deep at all. So close that I tell myself I should be able to fix them myself. Bob did you just buy a spoon or borrow it? Your repair looks perfect.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So do you think PDR is the way to go? I swear on my dents if I removed the interior door panel all it would take is a very few "light" taps from the inside to bring the dings out. Problem is it's going to happen again and again. There is no ding protection but on doors anymore. This is why I will not buy a new car. It's not worth the headache and there is always some da out there that does not care.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ptschett, Will they have to spray paint to fix yours? I bought a 03 Mustang last year and it had quite a deep dent in the fender. It was about 2" big. I bought a slide hammer where you drill a small hole and insert the screw at the end and just took my time bringing the dent out. Had to use a little body filler but once I got it looking almost perfect I masked it off and painted it.
I rubbed and rubbed with 3M compound and was surprised how well it looked. It was on the lip of the fender so it was pretty hard to see. If it would have been located anywhere else I would have had a shop spray it right to blend it in.

I called the dealer today and they gave me the number and the name of the guy that does there pdr work. They said when hes done you can't even tell there was any damage. I guess thats how I will have to deal with dings in the future. People are just idiots in parking lots. Make sure you let us know how your repair turns out. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.