Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I watched a video in which a guy did a neat looking mod to his TBI airbox. Basically he cut the bottom of the airbox out to roughly the shape of the air filter cover and discarded what was left of the original airbox. Take a look at the video in the link (watch from 0:00 to about 1:25)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oz9zNGQ4IdA&feature=BFa&list=HL1351735024

I'm considering doing this to my 94 Spirit's airbox. Should I? I know I would have to plug the vacuum hose for the heated air flap if I did it.

·
Part Connoisseur
2,431 Posts
It actually looks like a performance air filter setup that I think Holley once offered for these car back in the 80s and 90s.

Another thing you can do is swap out the airbox for an Omni airbox:

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
So, basically, it will be very loud, and it will suck in hot underhood air, which will reduce power and gas mileage. Not a good mod.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If I had a spare airbox I'd do it just for fun. Getting quite hard to find in junkyards though, and even just seeing a running L-body is a massively rare occasion up here. I saw an Omni expo a few weeks ago, and that was the first running L-body I've seen in years. Shame what road salt does to cars up here

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
I'd be interested to see how well a twin snorkel design would work. The air all seems to go through one part of my filter (driver's side rear corner area). I know that it's not like the rest of the filter isn't doing anything, but it seems like the Chrysler design has significant room for improvement.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
I have twin snorkels on my truck's 3.9L Magnum V-6. I installed the second one in order to retrofit with a heat stove for warm air intake while the engine is cold. I haven't found any difference in power at all, but the heated air definitely makes it idle and run more smoothly when the engine is cold. Eventually I want to rig up or replace the factory snorkel with another heat stove for the other side of the engine.

Either way, on my V-6 there's no issue with all the dirt collecting in one small area of the filter.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Have you noticed what I'm talking about though, Bob? The air on the TBI box all seems to go through a very small portion of a decently-sized filter

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Doesn't matter. That's just the point of impact for the dirt. It does still flow in all around the filter, and the throttle body still draws in the same volume of air at the same velocity. Warmer air will burt more than opening up the surfaces of the filter to spread the dirt evenly.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts