Allpar Forums banner

What Does Charging EV Batteries Cost?

4643 Views 71 Replies 27 Participants Last post by  Tomguy
I read about all the wonderful things about EVs and how they will change everything we know about transportation but, I have not seen any costs associated with EVs except the cost of the actual vehicle.
So... how much DOES it cost to fill up EVs??
41 - 60 of 72 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Why would you need to mess with the coding? Same could apply to any modern ICE vehicle manufactured in the last 30+ years - they all have computers. Not just Tesla's and the like.
Its like trying to repair an Apple phone. All the components are serialized to the device. You can buy an authentic Apple screen and install it but it won't work after because it wasn't installed by an "authorized Apple dealer".

You don't think they're going to do the same with cars?

· Registered
191 Posts
I haven't bought a new car in 31 years. I hang onto them forever. But if you do a complete comparison, BEV is already competitive for the full cost of ownership.
Im actually starting to shop, I got sideswiped last week and I doubt they're going to repair my car. Will compare the costs when shopping but I more likely than not won't be able to afford an EV nor can I repair it myself. No way it's cost effective for a DIY guy on a budget. I can still get a $3500 car and fix it every year for a few hundred bucks.

· Super Moderator
12,325 Posts
What do you anticipate being able to fix on an ICE vehicle that you can't fix on a BEV?

Reactions: Doug D and Tony K

· Administrator
1974 Plymouth Valiant - 2013 Dodge Dart - 2013 Chrysler 300C
25,610 Posts
Yup... computer controlled cars are nothing new.

Kinda funny reading comments (NOT on allpar) from people whining about the government tracking them through electric cars and [sigh] vaccine injections... as though we don't carry around portable trackers everywhere we go. (Even those who insist on flip phones for privacy, apparently not realizing that, yes, the cell providers knows exactly where they are.) And every car has license plates, which are scanned constantly by private companies who sell your realtime location data to anyone who wants it.

Loan collector, mafia bosses, law enforcement... if they care about where you are, they can find you in a few minutes, as long as you're carrying a cellphone or driving your car. They certainly don't need an electric powertrain to figure it out...

There ARE real issues with BEVs but serious BEV development only started with Fisker and a few other small companies around 20 years ago, or, if you prefer, with Chrysler and GM in the 1990s, around 30 years ago. Same with hydrogen - I don't think Mercedes and Toyota really were serious about it until maybe 10-15 years ago, before that it was just an excuse to do nothing else. Progress has been quite remarkable.

The bottleneck people are now discovering is long-distance transmission and grids — and the main issues there are just money and attitudes.

· Virginia Gentleman
8,729 Posts
Its like trying to repair an Apple phone. All the components are serialized to the device. You can buy an authentic Apple screen and install it but it won't work after because it wasn't installed by an "authorized Apple dealer".

Moss Magnuson Act (US Federal Law):

The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prohibits product manufacturers from conditioning consumer warranties on the use of any original equipment part or service. Furthermore, a manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if it can demonstrate that a non-original equipment part or related service caused a defect to occur in the original product. In the case of motor vehicles, new car manufacturers have ignored these conditions outlined in Magnuson-Moss and have misled consumers to believe that they must have dealer service shops install only original equipment replacement parts or fear having their new car warranty voided.

· Super Moderator
12,325 Posts

This is untrue.

"Apple's iPhone 11, ‌iPhone‌ 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max will offer up a new warning if a repair technician ever uses a non-genuine Apple display when repairing a broken device.

"Unable to verify this ‌iPhone‌ has a genuine Apple display" will show up in the General > About section of the Settings app if a repair shop uses an unverified display component.

Apple says that the warning is informational only and will not affect the ability to use your ‌iPhone‌ or your display."

· Administrator
25,610 Posts
This is untrue.

"Apple's iPhone 11, ‌iPhone‌ 11 Pro, and iPhone 11 Pro Max will offer up a new warning if a repair technician ever uses a non-genuine Apple display when repairing a broken device.

"Unable to verify this ‌iPhone‌ has a genuine Apple display" will show up in the General > About section of the Settings app if a repair shop uses an unverified display component.

Apple says that the warning is informational only and will not affect the ability to use your ‌iPhone‌ or your display."

There's a reason for that—unscrupulous providers have used replacement screens to hack into iPhones and Android phones. As you say, the notice is a warning only.

Like having just one app store, there are reasons.

· Registered
191 Posts
This is untrue.

I'm not talking about 3rd party hardware. It will brick itself even if you use official Apple parts. It has to be installed by an "authorized" vendor. Meaning, even if you buy the screen direct from the Apple store, but install it yourself, it still won't work.

· Super Moderator
12,325 Posts
Reference, please, other than a Youtube video? Maybe a technical article?

Reactions: Doug D

· Registered
191 Posts
Reference, please, other than a Youtube video? Maybe a technical article?
I mean that guy is pretty much the face of the right to repair movement in terms of phones and other devices. Obviously you're more than capable of finding the information you want served in a format and platform you like.

At this stage I'm happy to respectfully disagree. You enjoy your Apple products and EV cars. I'll continue keeping my jalopies on the road for as little financial investment as possible and hopefully overhaul my 89 Ram with much of the knowledge here.

· Super Moderator
12,325 Posts
I don't have any Apple products and I don't own an EV yet (but I will when they come out with the right fit). Don't make assumptions about me. That's twice you were wrong. Read my signature.

· Registered
362 Posts
There’s nothing in particular about an EV that itself would prevent you prevent you from repairing it yourself.

Tesla itself doesn’t support right to repair and even was not allowing salvaged teslas to use the supercharger network. But have backed off from that policy recently.

You can fix a battery pack that dies prematurely by replacing the bad cells and it’s much cheaper replacing the whole pack.

You can do a lot of do it yourself things with EVs check out Rich Rebuilds YouTube channel.
Here’s one where he’s driving a rat rod he stuck an electric motor from a Zero motorcycle in it.

· Administrator
25,610 Posts
I do have Apple stuff, and I have since way before it was fashionable. I started off hating Macs - I grew up with mainframes and then naturally went to DOS. But once I figured it out, the Mac was far superior in a key way - what you saw was what you got, on any printer. In those days, DOS files would be 4 pages on one printer, 6 pages on another. You couldn't predict how anything would show up. The only way to get WYSIWYG, as I recall, was a new thing called Ventura Publisher running on the GEM Desktop - out of my reach in cost of equipment and software. I stuck with them all these years because they were just easier to use and to maintain, and the hardware seemed to last forever. I'd watch my PC friends fighting their computers and replacing parts over and over...

Keeping in mind I am now, and always have been, quite good at using computers. I do program, I do use Linux, I do use the BSD UNIX interface on modern Macs, and I was good enough at DOS that the temp agencies sent me to any company using stuff nobody else knew. (I didn't know it either at first, I could usually learn it before my boss found any deficiency.) I was sent to Margaretten Mortgage because they used an HP mainframe for word processing, to Engelhard because they used SAMNA (them and the Coast Guard!), and so on. I knew WordPerfect very well, and got to learn Word for DOS well enough to be sent to the companies that only took the best.

I stuck with Macs during the dark days of the PowerPC, between the terrific 68040s and the terrific G3s, when we had the dismal PPC chips between - I never actually owned of those but they were just awful. The G3... it was like when the Hemi V8 first made its appearance. Or when Cerberus first took Chrysler from Daimler. I had held onto my 68040LC pizza-box Quadra 605, which used 30 watts of power - peak - to do what the lesser Pentiums did. Then the G3 which finally delivered the promised speed boost of the PPC series.

Today it's a Mac Mini 8,1 which outperforms my old 12-core Mac Pro (2010) thanks to the weird internals. Just sits there quietly on the desk, making no noise most of the time... and a 2012 laptop that’s never faltered. Along with some ancient iPods (a couple of first-gen Shuffles, a couple of the ones with spinning hard drives, and one original Nano)... and two old iPhones I use for general purposes and an old used one I use as my phone.

None of this has anything to do with fashion. I don't wear the white headphones and never did. iPods had the best sound reproduction of anything made in its day, at least the early one with the better DACs did, and it would be a terrible waste to use those rubbish headphones with them. Again, I used Macs when they were the butt of jokes, when Michael Dell said Apple should be dissolved and the money given to the shareholders. But dang, Toy Story was a great movie, and as much as I curse at MacOS Ventura, I curse more at Windows when I have to use it. What is it about elegant user interfaces that eludes those guys? I'd just as soon as some half-baked Linux desktop variant (which is to say, a Linux desktop variant).

· Registered
2,527 Posts
I didn’t have your experience at mainframes and never did much programming, but I cut my teeth on the 8-bit Commodore PET with cassette tape storage, moved over to Apple ][e, even had a Laser 128 clone (unauthorized of course) for writing my college papers. Now I do practically everything on my iPad, although when I can I will be buying a used M1 mini as a home file server for our important docs.

· Registered
104 Posts
Funny how we get stuck with terms from our past experiences with autos, like "fill-up" when we will have to learn to say charge. I have friends that still say roll down the window, with auto headlights we no longer use the word "dim" the lights. Backup cameras, power mirrors, sun/moon roofs, voice activated radios, nav etc have all played a part in our ever changing world of vehicle words and vocabulary. Would love to be around to see what my grandchildren will say maybe "drive". By the way today they don't understand the word "car key".
True, terms stick around longer than tech. Do you still "hang up" your phone? :) Dial your phone? Call the TV remote the "clicker" even though they don't "Click" anymore? :)

JS

· Super Moderator
12,325 Posts
True, terms stick around longer than tech. Do you still "hang up" your phone? :) Dial your phone? Call the TV remote the "clicker" even though they don't "Click" anymore? :)

JS
We never had a TV remote until the mid-1990s, so we never had a 'clicker'. We didn't have color TV until 1978, and that was a 10-yr old hand-me-down from my grandmother.

· Registered
188 Posts
You mean you missed Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color on Sunday nights in color, or the NBC peacock in color? Oh no!
@Bob Lincoln wasn't the only one, his situation sounded exactly like mine, I couldn't even enjoy The FBI (In Color).

41 - 60 of 72 Posts