Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
12,224 Posts

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
... And what does having control over both FPT and VM mean to those entities who purchase products from either VM or FPT.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
JavelinAMX said:
... And what does having control over both FPT and VM mean to those entities who purchase products from either VM or FPT.
More options.

·
THE MAD DUCK
2,379 Posts
More Oil Burners Available ! ! !

TMD

Reactions: guyverfanboy

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
tryphon said:
It means (eventually) a farewell to Cummings....
Just what I was thinking.

Iveco's 5.9L and 6.7L Sixes (that Iveco family) were co-developed with Cummins; have closely similar specs and by being produced in-house might possibly be lower cost for the performance (which would be a positive). But Iveco/FPT doesn't ring as true to a customer in the market that Ram commercial (or even consumer Ram) operates in.

But to a bean-counter, more than one source of the same thing might cause some sort of managerial hiccup.

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
2,028 Posts
I think the big words are "planning".

·
Say no to kool-aid
3,922 Posts
tryphon said:
I suppose. They need to be very careful, as Cummins has been a huge asset to Dodge Trucks over the years.. That said, the Ram trucks are making consistant advancements. I'd say their safest bet would be make sure to offer another, presumably smaller diesel in the heavy duty trucks to showcase it. Make sure to show people it's a solid engine, and in time they can change it with out loosing to many customers.

·
Not THAT guy again!
1,099 Posts
tryphon said:
They just need to buy Cummins then. Otherwise, someone else will snatch up Cummins. I can not tell you how many people I have had tell me they bought a Dodge because of the Cummins engine. And a lot of (Chevy/Ford) guys only respect the Ram because of that engine. With no statistical backing, my guess-o-meter says about 30% of diesel Ram sales are because of the Cummins engine. I know, silly statement, but I bet it's not far from the truth.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
dodgeatheart said:
They just need to buy Cummins then. Otherwise, someone else will snatch up Cummins. I can not tell you how many people I have had tell me they bought a Dodge because of the Cummins engine. And a lot of (Chevy/Ford) guys only respect the Ram because of that engine. With no statistical backing, my guess-o-meter says about 30% of diesel Ram sales are because of the Cummins engine. I know, silly statement, but I bet it's not far from the truth.
TOTALLY agree.
Losing Cummins would be disaster.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Is Cummins even for sale? They do have a great reputation in the US, but are less of a player internationally. At the end of the day, if they are replaced by VM, what will really matter is how much better the replacement engine is going to be.

·
Not THAT guy again!
1,099 Posts
tryphon said:
Is Cummins even for sale? They do have a great reputation in the US, but are less of a player internationally. At the end of the day, if they are replaced by VM, what will really matter is how much better the replacement engine is going to be.
For sale? I doubt it, but everything has a price in business. It will matter what they replace a Cummins engine with, but there are people who buy a Cummins engine with a Dodge body around it. Lots of them. Say goodbye to that customer base.

·
Registered
12,224 Posts
dodgeatheart said:
They just need to buy Cummins then.
Fiat Market Cap: $7.5 Billion
Cummins Market Cap: $25 billion

You should be wishing for Cummins to buy Fiat!

Reactions: ptschett

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
tryphon said:
Not for sale and about three times larger than Fiat.
VM doesn't build engines in the larger diesel family and Iveco will never have the reputation of Cummins, in the US.
So hopefully Cummins remains a diesel provider for the medium and Heavy Dury Rams for decades to come, otherwise, there will be about 30% of Rams market looking elsewhere.
VM could expand someday and could eventually rival Cummins in reputation, but it won't be in this decade.

·
Registered
104 Posts
There are a few posts above this one that claim that Cummins is more than 3 times bigger than FIAT.
I think this would be a bit misleading.

If you look at total revenue and profit the picture is a bit different.

For the second quarter of 2013:

Cummins reports:
Revenue = $ 4.5 billion
EBIT = $ 621 million

FIAT Spa reports:
Revenue = € 22.3 billion (~$ 30.1 billion)
EBIT = € 1.1 billion (~$ 1.48 billion)

FIAT Industrial Group reports:
Revenue = € 6.8 billion(~$ 9,18 billion)
EBIT = € 529 million (~ $ 714 million)

So looking at the second quarter in revenue FIAT(including Industrial) would be almost 9 times bigger than Cummins.

Strictly looking at the market cap would mean that Tesla is a much bigger company than FIAT.

I don't think you put things in the right perspective if you only look at the market cap.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Point taken, Cummins was until relatively recently, still a family owned business and not likely for sale in any event.
Cummins annual sales are approx. 17+ billion, way too large for Fiat to absorb.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts