Allpar Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'00 + '01 + '03 + '04 300m and '01 Ram
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've taken the power seat under-frame off my front seats to clean them up (I'm swapping seats from one car to another) and I've power-washed them to get rid of all the crud and now I'm going to re-lube them. What I can see is that on the worm shafts and other places the original lube seemed to be white-ish and had the consistency of soft wax or bar soap. Possibly similar to the grease you put on the plastic gears of a garage door opener. I'm thinking that what-ever grease they put on the seats, the smell is going to be noticable so that's going to be a factor. A lot of the chasis and wheel bearing grease I have on hand will also have a not pleasant smell to it. Any ideas?

·
Registered
656 Posts
I've taken the power seat under-frame off my front seats to clean them up (I'm swapping seats from one car to another) and I've power-washed them to get rid of all the crud and now I'm going to re-lube them. What I can see is that on the worm shafts and other places the original lube seemed to be white-ish and had the consistency of soft wax or bar soap. Possibly similar to the grease you put on the plastic gears of a garage door opener. I'm thinking that what-ever grease they put on the seats, the smell is going to be noticable so that's going to be a factor. A lot of the chasis and wheel bearing grease I have on hand will also have a not pleasant smell to it. Any ideas?

Try GM Superlube, GM part number 12371287 or ACDelco part number 10-4057 (a 3 oz. / 85G toothpaste-type tube). It will not harm metal rubber or plastics, and has no smell. The operating range is 400 degrees F to 40 degrees below zero F.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,680 Posts
The whitish lube was a lithium grease, like Lubri-plate. It also came in a toothpaste-type tube.
The newer synthetic greases may be OK. An aerosol of white lithium grease may be messy.

Reactions: chuzz

·
Registered
583 Posts
The whitish lube was a lithium grease, like Lubri-plate. It also came in a toothpaste-type tube.
The newer synthetic greases may be OK. An aerosol of white lithium grease may be messy.

Crown of course has it right...this is the stuff!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts