Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Move Over Plymouth Aproaching Rapidly
2,096 Posts
I'm guussing here, but aparently not enough interest to make it's own forum very active. As far as I'm concerned your welcome to post here with Sprinter stuff. Don't sweat the details too much, my J20 seems to have lost it's official home in the move, but there again I think there might be only 2 of us that have an FSJ here, so into the traditional Jeep forum we go.

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
We still take questions on Sprinters here. If the administrators need to move a thread, they will.
Would Commercial Dodge trucks or Adopted/Made outside North America be a more appropriate heading for Sprinter or is Full-sized A/B vans OK?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I'm guussing here, but aparently not enough interest to make it's own forum very active. As far as I'm concerned your welcome to post here with Sprinter stuff. Don't sweat the details too much, my J20 seems to have lost it's official home in the move, but there again I think there might be only 2 of us that have an FSJ here, so into the traditional Jeep forum we go.
I'm not buying it. ;) AMC sold far more J trucks than Chrysler sold Sprinters... :lol:
You, Suze, me and a few others I'm sure...

·
2,096 Posts
Key words were I think, which usually gets me in trouble. :tomato:
Perusing the posts as I have, Suz and myself are the only ones who fessed up to owning a FSJ till now, so with you I can count three of us.
Indirectly I am associated with a Sprinter, my grandfathers locksmith shop has one for a service van. It replaced a GM G series van that was totaled in an accident in 06, that was a replacement for a 66 Dodge A van with a slant six that lived for 4 decades before it rusted to the point that it was deemed unsafe. Overall they have mixed feelings about the Sprinter, from what I hear it runs great when it runs, but they are a bit disgusted with the $1000 brake job every 9 months, and when it breaks it seems to have to spend two weeks at the dealer getting fixed.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Overall they have mixed feelings about the Sprinter, from what I hear it runs great when it runs, but they are a bit disgusted with the $1000 brake job every 9 months, and when it breaks it seems to have to spend two weeks at the dealer getting fixed.
Ah...those precision German parts... :rolleyes:
For a short period of time, I experimented with the dark side, I had a 356 SC Porsche.
I went to the dealer for brake pads and the quote was a weeks pay...I told the parts guy, that's crazy! He said, yes it is, and scribbled a part number on a slip of paper, looked around and then whispered, "Take this to the other end of the building, to the VW parts room, it's the same part with VW stamped on it, for 2/3 less." :lol:

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I know someone who ran a repair shop years back. If they needed a part for a Caddy, they'd tell the parts store it was for a Chevy, 'cuz the Chevy parts were cheaper.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Hmm, Porsche must use some awfull expesive ink to stamp their name on the part. :lol:
Actually the VW parts started with a cast part number of 113, Porsche used a different code, but to be fair, the motor parts only looked similar, the Porsche engine parts were lighter, stronger, different allow, balanced, hardened, etc. That was their real advantage...but...one ride in a Viper and all is forgottten.... :lol:

·
2,096 Posts
I got to sit in a Viper once, but the auction guard wouldn't let me have the keys. You were a good Porsche owner, every one of them that is serious knows all sorts of stuff about their cars. There were 2 Porsche shops in town when I drove tow truck, and I towed for both. I also did the towing for several other Porsche owners who did their own work, and when I say I did the towing, I mean I and not someone else from the company I worked for. They would call my company and ask for me, and if I wasn't available they would wait gladly till I was. That honor was passed on to me by another driver when he retired. Porsche owners are a different type of car owner, but that's not all bad. One of them would invite me to a Christmas party every year he threw for all the people that he hired on a regular basis. It was kind of odd going to this mansion of a house with butlers and waiters and meeting all the other guests and finding not only his lawyer and accountant, but his trash collector and plumber and mechanic and so forth. Kind of left me with the impression that he thought as much of us as he did his lawyer and accountant. He was a good man, the kind that gives a $50 tip on a $35 tow if you took care of his car.
Did we hijack this thread yet?

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I got to sit in a Viper once, but the auction guard wouldn't let me have the keys. You were a good Porsche owner, every one of them that is serious knows all sorts of stuff about their cars. There were 2 Porsche shops in town when I drove tow truck, and I towed for both. I also did the towing for several other Porsche owners who did their own work, and when I say I did the towing, I mean I and not someone else from the company I worked for. They would call my company and ask for me, and if I wasn't available they would wait gladly till I was. That honor was passed on to me by another driver when he retired. Porsche owners are a different type of car owner, but that's not all bad. One of them would invite me to a Christmas party every year he threw for all the people that he hired on a regular basis. It was kind of odd going to this mansion of a house with butlers and waiters and meeting all the other guests and finding not only his lawyer and accountant, but his trash collector and plumber and mechanic and so forth. Kind of left me with the impression that he thought as much of us as he did his lawyer and accountant. He was a good man, the kind that gives a $50 tip on a $35 tow if you took care of his car.
Did we hijack this thread yet?
"We"?? ha! ha!
No, I was just about to post this Sprinter photo of my wife for you...

Reactions: Trailmaster

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Key words were I think, which usually gets me in trouble. :tomato:
Perusing the posts as I have, Suz and myself are the only ones who fessed up to owning a FSJ till now, so with you I can count three of us.
Indirectly I am associated with a Sprinter, my grandfathers locksmith shop has one for a service van. It replaced a GM G series van that was totaled in an accident in 06, that was a replacement for a 66 Dodge A van with a slant six that lived for 4 decades before it rusted to the point that it was deemed unsafe. Overall they have mixed feelings about the Sprinter, from what I hear it runs great when it runs, but they are a bit disgusted with the $1000 brake job every 9 months, and when it breaks it seems to have to spend two weeks at the dealer getting fixed.
You are not joking about those undersized Sprinter brakes. :angry: :lol:

Too bad the Mercedes boys simply did not use 2002+ Dodge Ram brakes and wheel studs instead of those ghetto bolts. :frustrated:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yes let the Sprinter Guys in here, fellow vanners deserve a place to tell us how much money they have to pour into their Benz Vans. Funny how the first thing they buy is the Benz hood ornament and trim pkg and dump Freightliner or Dodge !!

I'm still loyal to the B Series van, in all its variations without a doubt the finest van ever made !!
Rick aka boxdin.. what are you in your van?? boxdin !

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Ah...those precision German parts... :rolleyes:
For a short period of time, I experimented with the dark side, I had a 356 SC Porsche.
I went to the dealer for brake pads and the quote was a weeks pay...I told the parts guy, that's crazy! He said, yes it is, and scribbled a part number on a slip of paper, looked around and then whispered, "Take this to the other end of the building, to the VW parts room, it's the same part with VW stamped on it, for 2/3 less."
You know, I actually once found the opposite. I had been in an accident and a friend's father let me borrow an Infiniti Q45 for a few weeks in exchange for fixing the broken driver's side door latch mechanism (door wouldn't open). I got a price on the Infiniti part and figuring a Nissan part might be cheaper, called around. It actually was about $50 less for the part from Infiniti than from Nissan!

·
Super Moderator
21,365 Posts
I helped my neighbor fix his Q45 doors last winter. The cables and actuators ice up and pop off. Was able to get it re-secured without parts and added a water shield, but it is a disappointing design.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
Yeah, it's a far stretch from Infinity/Nissan to Porsche. ;)

·
Super Moderator
13,926 Posts
Yeah, it's a far stretch from Infinity/Nissan to Porsche. ;)
Downhill MoparNorm? All kidding aside; I'm not impressed with modern Euro vehicles were long term reliability is concerned compared to the Detroit 3 and/or the Asians.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts