Allpar Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was changing battery out.
under it just to the left and little behind i saw something i am not sure what it is.
it is a little plastic ring attatched to something mounted on transmission.
the back end goes into a bundle.
there is nothing on the ring itself, what ever was there fell of. the post it goes around looks broken off.
any idea what it is?
Automotive tire Wood Gas Bumper Rim

·
Super Moderator
32,582 Posts
Looks like the end of a shift cable, and the rubber bushing insert has fallen out or disintegrated.
You might find a polyurethane bushing replacement at www.boogerbushings.com. They are better than OEM. This is a common problem with manual transmission Mopars of the 1980s.

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
22,347 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Mopar only sells the whole shift cable. You can get aftermarket repair kits.
The center bushing is a soft material so that absorbs engine vibration so it doesn't travel down the cable.
The problem is the soft bushing fatigues and rots away after a few years.

Font Eyelash Audio equipment Circle Terrestrial plant

Automotive tire Font Wood Musical instrument Circle

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
"Few years" !!

We're talking at least 14 for a PT, IIRC. I consider a few years 3-5! :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
The fat end of a tire valve stem cut off works perfectly - done that trick for years. Buzz it flat, force it into the ring and then a c-clip will hold it. The center hole of the stem is spot-on to fit the shifter. BUT - I warn - I am not a certified mechanic. I would certainly consider the after-market parts that I have seen.
Just saying...

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, 5.7 Hemi
1 Posts
...there is nothing on the ring itself, what ever was there fell of. the post it goes around looks broken off.
W E L C O M E ! ! !
... to the forum.

The post is not broken, that is the way it should be.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Cherokee Limited, 2014 RAM 1500 Big Horn CC, 2006 PT GT Cruiser, 2005 Neon SXT
146 Posts
i was changing battery out.
under it just to the left and little behind i saw something i am not sure what it is.
it is a little plastic ring attatched to something mounted on transmission.
the back end goes into a bundle.
there is nothing on the ring itself, what ever was there fell of. the post it goes around looks broken off.
any idea what it is? View attachment 82409
Doorman has a shifter bushing kit that has the right size bushing in it for these, its not easy to put on ... I think the number was 14044.

https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-14044...ocphy=9017496&hvtargid=pla-524038775268&psc=1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts