Allpar Forums banner

How many miles have you gotten out of your Dodge Grand Caravan with original transmission?

• Under 50k

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 50 to 60k

• 60 to 75k

• 150 to 175k

• Over 300k and still working

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Another taxi driver and myself replaced my brake booster and master cylinder last summer and it seems we may forgotten to lubricate something. When i am waiting in traffic especially on an incline nose down, and i push on my brakes it sounds like Rubber grabbing. My brakes still work but what the heck is that noise and how do i fix it?

Nothing that drives me crazy more than a different noise coming anywhere from my minivan.

It has been doing it for probably right after I replaced it but it still annoys me. Can i not put some lubricant on it?

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
You can use a bit of brake fluid on the seal. Brake fluid will not cause the rubber to expand.

On your poll I got around 90,000 miles out of the A604 4 speed until the internal seals started leaking and it would not go into 4th gear. Then it was averaging somewhere around 30,000~ 40,000 miles between the 2nd and 3rd rebuilds because something kept failing in the planetary gear set.
The 3rd rebuild was the charm, because I have to have over 150,000 miles on it and it is still running great.

Reactions: TaxiGirl

·
Super Moderator
21,690 Posts
Is the noise inside the vehicle under the dash? I would have someone look and locate the noise source first, then determine how to lube what needs attention.
The pushrod that comes out to the pedal from the booster has a plastic bushing that can squeak. There is also a vacuum vent valve where the pushrod goes into the booster.
With proper care, a 62TE should be able to go 200K+ miles. Remember that Taxi-duty is considered a harsh duty. An ATF+4 fluid change every now and then may help.

Reactions: TaxiGirl

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the noise inside the vehicle under the dash? I would have someone look and locate the noise source first, then determine how to lube what needs attention.
The pushrod that comes out to the pedal from the booster has a plastic bushing that can squeak. There is also a vacuum vent valve where the pushrod goes into the booster.
With proper care, a 62TE should be able to go 200K+ miles. Remember that Taxi-duty is considered a harsh duty. An ATF+4 fluid change every now and then may help.

I agree and i fo change the tranny fluid.
What you are saying about the metal rod and plastic bushing sounds exactly right. Brske booster is less than 6 months old. I guess maybe there should have been lube added. Or maybe because it is afternarket. Thank you gor responding.

·
Registered
8,313 Posts
You're using it as a taxi. I'd recommend an ATF+4 fluid AND filter change every 25,000 miles. To some, this may seem like overkill, but those transmissions are pretty hardy if you take care of them. I had over 212,000 miles on mine when I got rid of it. I changed the fluid and filter every 50,000 miles on mine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts