Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If running ac at full blast and driving up to normal operating temperature, what should the temp if the coolant be? I have noticed a diffrence with this ladt tstat that i got from Dodge.

I used to see the thermostat open all the time when temp is around 209. Now, it lingers around 212 to 215 for a while before it ever opens and allowing it to cool down to 203.

I am suspicipus of this. When the tstat reaches the temp to open, what initiates the opening of the the tstat? Is it feedback to computer that tells it to open (software) or is it purely mechanical?

·
Super Moderator
32,051 Posts
As with the other conversations, it depends on the ambient temperature. A car will run a little hotter on a 100F day than an 80F day, all other things being equal. The A/C is dumping the interior heat in front of the radiator, therefore at full blast A/C, more heat in front of the radiator means higher coolant temperature. The numbers you present are not abnormal.

Reactions: ka9yhd

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,808 Posts
I am suspicipus of this. When the tstat reaches the temp to open, what initiates the opening of the the tstat? Is it feedback to computer that tells it to open (software) or is it purely mechanical?
The T-Stat is purely mechanical. There is no association with the PCM or TIPM. As long as the t-stat is allowing the coolant to cool back down to the proper operating temperature (in your case 203 F), then it is working as designed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts