Allpar Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I agree with I C on this matter.

1st: What is the year model, make and engine on your van.

2nd: What condition have you noticed that makes you want to override the electronic control of the radiator fan? Is the engine overheating at slow driving speeds or stopped idling? Is the A C system over pressuring, venting refrigerant because the radiator fans are not running?

Not knowing which model year you are referencing I looked at the radiator fan control circuitry for a 2010 and 2012 model year Grand Caravan. The wiring schematics were identical. It appears the TIPM controls a low fan speed relay and a high fan speed relay. I am guessing the TIPM receives communication signals from the PCM about radiator fan control. In the low fan speed relay load circuit there is a schematic box that identifies a resistor for providing an actual low fan speed. The high speed fan relay is wired directly through a fused circuit from the battery to the fans. Other than wiring connectors and the TIPM, the circuitry is not that complicated.

If you answer the basic questions we may be able to provide some guidance.

Here is the schematic I uploaded to my drop box that shows the inputs from the Temp sensor and the ECT

Dropbox - schematic radiator fan cooling.jpg

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
I am driving a 2011 Dodge Grand Caravan. Are you saying that the schematic is for a PT? I uploaded a schematic to my drop box I got figure out how to link it to here
I made no mention in any of my posts about a PT Cruiser. The link I provided in the post on Saturday, Oct 15 is schematic for a 2011 Chrysler built minivan. You need to check the wiring from the high speed relay for opens and shorts. Label S134 in the schematic is a wire splice. That needs to be located and checked for electrical continuity and no corrosion and no broken wires.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Taxi; Try the "test" I gave you in post # 17. If your AC control system is working properly, the fan WILL come on within 30 seconds.

To add; the radiator fan turns on for 3 reasons.
1-- the tranny temp gets too hot.
2-- the AC is turned on.
3-- the engine coolant temp reaches a certain temp.

The AC compressor clutch and the radiator fan are controlled by both the high pressure switch and by the low pressure switch of the AC system. These switches have had problems for others. Also, check wiring and connectors.

I am assuming the PT system is similar to yours. I tried to download the 2011 wiring diagram, but it locked up my computer.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Taxi; Try the "test" I gave you in post # 17. If your AC control system is working properly, the fan WILL come on within 30 seconds.

To add; the radiator fan turns on for 3 reasons.
1-- the tranny temp gets too hot.
2-- the AC is turned on.
3-- the engine coolant temp reaches a certain temp.

The AC compressor clutch and the radiator fan are controlled by both the high pressure switch and by the low pressure switch of the AC system. These switches have had problems for others. Also, check wiring and connectors.

I am assuming the PT system is similar to yours. I tried to download the 2011 wiring diagram, but it locked up my computer.
I found the problem. but cannot find solution. all of the salvage yards have already cut out and sold this connector because it happens a lot for these. the connector to the relay by the front left side is burnt. cannot upload pic because i cannot reduce size of the image to only 135 k

·
Registered
176 Posts
I found the problem. but cannot find solution. all of the salvage yards have already cut out and sold this connector because it happens a lot for these. the connector to the relay by the front left side is burnt. cannot upload pic because i cannot reduce size of the image to only 135 k
Is that left looking under the hood or when sitting in the drivers seat, in other words is it on passenger side or drivers side.

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
This appears to be the standard type, stand alone relay and mating socket that Chrysler used on all its vehicles from the late 1980s through the early to mid 2000 time frame. Any female, pigtail connector used for the ASD, fuel pump, A/C clutch, etc from this era will fit. So surely you can find this connector at a Chrysler vehicle "bone yard".

Here is a link to an Ebay item for the female connector. This should be a suitable replacement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/162186683212?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Note that there are 5 female receptacles in this generic replacement. If you look at the picture of the receptacle you provided that is damaged, there is no connector for the center terminal on the relay. It is not used. So you can ignore the wire to the center terminal in this replacement.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
This appears to be the standard type, stand alone relay and mating socket that Chrysler used on all its vehicles from the late 1980s through the early to mid 2000 time frame. Any female, pigtail connector used for the ASD, fuel pump, A/C clutch, etc from this era will fit. So surely you can find this connector at a Chrysler vehicle "bone yard".

Here is a link to an Ebay item for the female connector. This should be a suitable replacement.

A/C Clutch Control Relay Harness Connector 4 Seasons 37210 | eBay

Note that there are 5 female receptacles in this generic replacement. If you look at the picture of the receptacle you provided that is damaged, there is no connector for the center terminal on the relay. It is not used. So you can ignore the wire to the center terminal in this replacement.
I got it fixed today but thank you. however, my van is 2011 so i guess they still not changed that

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·

A/C Clutch Control Relay Harness Connector 4 Seasons 37210 | eBay

Seems to go right along with how the Computer overcharges the batteries causing them to eventually go bad. this is a battery i put in here 2 months ago and immediately it started to bubble a little at the top. had to replace TIPM, or at least Dodge charged me for a TIPM after computer was charging battery with 18 volts

Attachments

·
Registered
4,936 Posts
Seems to go right along with how the Computer overcharges the batteries causing them to eventually go bad. this is a battery i put in here 2 months ago and immediately it started to bubble a little at the top. had to replace TIPM, or at least Dodge charged me for a TIPM after computer was charging battery with 18 volts
I do not want to aggravate your displeasure with problems getting your van serviced properly. But any knowledgeable service facility should realize that an overcharging condition of 18 volts almost certainly points to an alternator / generator field circuit that has full 12 volts applied to it. That would necessitate a close inspection of the wiring for the generator field circuit and looking for a short to ground. In normal operation the PCM pulses the generator circuit ON / OFF quickly and that regulates the charging output. The TIPM is not involved with regulating generator output. Seems this repair facility is less than stellar and likes to "fire the parts cannon" to fix things.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I do not want to aggravate your displeasure with problems getting your van serviced properly. But any knowledgeable service facility should realize that an overcharging condition of 18 volts almost certainly points to an alternator / generator field circuit that has full 12 volts applied to it. That would necessitate a close inspection of the wiring for the generator field circuit and looking for a short to ground. In normal operation the PCM pulses the generator circuit ON / OFF quickly and that regulates the charging output. The TIPM is not involved with regulating generator output. Seems this repair facility is less than stellar and likes to "fire the parts cannon" to fix things.
I am not trying to undermine you, but yes the computer controls how much voltage and the dealership confirmed it. because i was going to go after Autozone for the battery being destroyed and thats when i found out that the voltage is controlled by the computer not the alternator. the alternator keeps the battery charged but the amount of voltage is controlled by the computer

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I am not trying to undermine you, but yes the computer controls how much voltage and the dealership confirmed it. because i was going to go after Autozone for the battery being destroyed and thats when i found out that the voltage is controlled by the computer not the alternator. the alternator keeps the battery charged but the amount of voltage is controlled by the computer
I have changed alternator 2 or 3 times thinking it was the problem and afterwards took alternators to an alternator shop and they tested good

21 - 33 of 33 Posts