Allpar Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1966 Crown Coupe, 2016 200 S AWD, 1962 Lark Daytona V8.
16,960 Posts
Welcome to Allpar. Try an inquiry in the Parts Wanted section? Much of the DeSoto drivetrain was shared with Chrysler. Try the car clubs like the WPC or Facebook for parts & locations? A transmission with Overdrive would be nice.
Get some ideas about mounting & adapting an available modern drivetrain?
Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Pattern

·
Super Moderator
21,020 Posts
If you’re considering a Datson engine, you must be planning some fabrication. With fabrication the choices are pretty much unlimited.

·
Registered
1986 LeBaron convertible, 2.2L T2 with A413. 1989 J convertible dash and console modified to fit.
1,306 Posts
I would look into an AMC 6, they are upright so should fit nicely and the 4.0L Jeep versions are excellent runners with EFI. A modern OD automatic as I am sure like most cars of that era the rear axle ratio is in the 4-5:1 range. It would sound reasonably stock and easily move the car.

Reactions: benjaq and chuzz

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
696 Posts
1938 Desoto with no motor & transmission is basically a kit car. Up grade brakes, suspension, and choose what kind of engine that best fit's the kind of driving you plan on doing. If green, go electric. It's clean, quiet. But most likely that requires drop it off at a conversion location and they build battery boxes and motor mounts and it's up to you if you want a manual transmission or no transmission. At least a transmission will allow lower electric motor speed if doing any distance and want to save battery power.
EV West Tesla electric motor with universal joint. Just a thought.

Reactions: benjaq

·
Registered
2003 pt cruiser, 1969 D200, 1966 Coronet 500, 1990 LeBaron Coupe
696 Posts
1938 Desoto with no motor & transmission is basically a kit car. Up grade brakes, suspension, and choose what kind of engine that best fit's the kind of driving you plan on doing. If green, go electric. It's clean, quiet. But most likely that requires drop it off at a conversion location and they build battery boxes and motor mounts and it's up to you if you want a manual transmission or no transmission. At least a transmission will allow lower electric motor speed if doing any distance and want to save battery power.
There are many motors to choose from at a lower price and lower power.
EV West motors
EV works 7869 NE Day Rd W #203, Bainbridge Island, WA 98110 has converted many other vehicles other than VW. Last I visited they were working on a 1973 Jaguar E.
You can always find a conversion mechanic closer to your home if you choose this direction

·
Registered
16 Posts
As it appears you are overseas, this makes things interesting. My first impression was, go more or less original. Nearly any Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto or Chrysler flathead 6 setup from the 30s-50s should work fairly well (plus Dodge/Fargo/DeSoto light trucks.) These were also used in a lot of industrial equipment, though that would likely mean you still need to find a transmission. Barring that, I would next seek out whatever straight 6 you might have readily available, and if that doesn't work where you live? I'd think an older 4 cylinder would be very overworked in this car. If I had to go the 4 route I'd look more at somewhat newer, somewhat larger powerplants. I don't know much about the Datsun 1800. I would think it would take some modification to give acceptable performance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would look into an AMC 6, they are upright so should fit nicely and the 4.0L Jeep versions are excellent runners with EFI. A modern OD automatic as I am sure like most cars of that era the rear axle ratio is in the 4-5:1 range. It would sound reasonably stock and easily move the car.
Something like a rambler? maybe 1973-74-75?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i really dont mind electric, its about nostalgia and cash.

·
Registered
1986 LeBaron convertible, 2.2L T2 with A413. 1989 J convertible dash and console modified to fit.
1,306 Posts
Something like a rambler? maybe 1973-74-75?
Yes, if you want to stay carbureted. A manual transmission with either an overdrive or one with an overdrive top gear would do well. one with a floor shift like a T5 would integrate well with the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yes, if you want to stay carbureted. A manual transmission with either an overdrive or one with an overdrive top gear would do well. one with a floor shift like a T5 would integrate well with the car.
just measured today the engine... and dosnt fit in the chasis!!! I DONT BELIEVE IT, i looking for a Datsun 1800, now :( saddly becouse Hourse power

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Ok, was the 1938 originally a 6 or a 4? If a 6 it may have been what was referred to as a "short head" engine. How about one of the later Toyota truck 2.7L fours?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
You could look for a Volvo red engine setup with tranny ( B21 A/B23 A1975...1987) or the even older B30A six. Volvo 240/ 164
These engines are easy to get going and robust.
A slant six would be even greater.
- But a 331-392 Hemi would be my choice...........

·
KOG
1,907 Posts
And there's always the default option for nearly anything with wheels. Small block Chevy with a four speed overdrive automatic. That will get you more engine and transmision for less money than about anything else you can do.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
KOG is right. As much as I hate to see a Mopar blasphemed, SBC is a much cheaper option and you can find parts for those things pretty much anywhere in to world. And that's a good thing, because SBC's ALWAYS need parts! LOL

·
Registered
797 Posts
i just finished restoring and selling a 1937 desoto..it had the original flat head 6..A small displacement desoto hemi would fit very nicely,,something like a 291..you buy an adaptor to fit a small block 727.the emergency brake on that car was a drum at the end of the manual trany..so rear end swap is in order...Biggest thing,.your desoto is a Mopar..please do not put anything in it other than a Mopar powertrain..

Reactions: chuzz

·
KOG
1,907 Posts
I'm not that fond of Chevy, but unless your budget isn't a budget don't even think of going near the otherwise really nice sounding early Hemi. The current LS engines are decent. Older SBCs had a number of problems which have been corrected over the years by making them much more like Chrysler engines. And Chevy has been much more supportive of the aftermarket with complete crate powertrains. MOPAR just isn't supplying engine and transmisison packages with harness and computers to bolt in.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts