Allpar Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car 3.0 seems to have a mid range confusion when at 45 mph . It is like it lacks power. I have to stomp on the gas and get it to shift down.
it happens the most when i hit a big hill and i am not going fast .

·
Registered
6,042 Posts
Speed, throttle position was what the older models used. Add to that a vacuum sensor and now a computer program for the latest units.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
This is probably an adaptive learning transmission that adjusts the shift pattern according to your driving habits. Perhaps you don't drive aggressively enough. Regardless, shifting uses computer control from a combination of inputs - speed sensor, MAP sensor (vacuum), throttle position, and perhaps line pressure in the transmission.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Is the transmission a 3- or 4-speed (i.e. does the shifter go PRND21 or PRN(D)3L)? The 3-speed has nothing to do at all with the computer and is controlled by traditional throttle pressure linkages. The 4-speed is completely computer controlled and uses "fuzzy" logic to determine your driving habits and tailor its shifts to you. The transmission is constantly learning, so if you have recently changed your driving style, it may be "confused" and will come around on its own within a couple hundred miles. If you have the 3-speed, something may have come loose and may be out of adjustment.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i have the prnd21 and i stomp on it and squeal the tires as much as i can. The thing i dont do much is hwy driving. Maybe the computer thinks .... why hasnt he stopped and went from 0-60 in 5 seconds???

So unhook the battery before a long trip?

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
OK,. then you have a 3-speed transmission, which is controlled by hydraulic pressure and valves. Downshift is controlled by a cable from the throttle linkage to the transmission. Inspect it and see if it's stuck or broken.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
There is no computer on this transmission. The only thing computer-controlled is the torque converter clutch, which only comes into play during steady throttle state cruising above about 40mph. You may want to consider changing your driving habits. Not only are jackrabbit starts horrendous for fuel economy, but they cause heavy loading on the transmission and drive train. A little fun once in a while isn't going to do too much, but if this is a daily thing, you could be doing very serious and expensive damage. Check your linkages and fuel levels. I would advise using a factory service manual.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
whoops i have
P
R
N
over drive (D)
D
L

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
OK, then you have a 4-speed automatic that IS computer-controlled. See my first post, and others' references to adaptive learning.

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
Huh, they must have changed the labelling. On my 41TE Caravan, it's PRND3L. Direct drive (non-overdrive) and 3 are the same.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
yeah i knew i must have got it wrong when i read the posts about levers attached to the gas. I have none ,,,, plus i have a computer.

I have to clean my battery posts anyhow. I will unplug it and let it re learn .

·
Registered
85 Posts
Mine would "act like" it was downshifting, or trying to at highway speeds (70+); I have the 3-speed so this is probably a useless tidbit. They replaced the TPS (throttle position sensor) and the issue went away. But when I first asked the Chrysler dealer tech about it, his first question was: do you have the 3-speed or the 4-speed?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts