Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '96 Dakota Sport 5.2 4x4 and the transfer case is acting funny. I'd rather rebuild or replace it with another than take it off and be left stranded for a couple of days. What transfer cases are interchangeable with this specific application. I have 3.05 gears front and rear with open diffs. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a million, as I only trust Allpar to answer this question.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Any better description than 'acting funny'? I have no idea what that means.
Is there a round NV # tag on the back of the case held on with a single center screw? What is that #?
Sometimes a fresh ATF change will cure many, but not all problems. It can also give you an indication of the internal health of the t/case as it pours out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've changed the gear oil twice in the past month. Every time it is a bit metallic, and it is a clicking noise. When I turn the wheel going in reverse it is often followed by a thud and it's not from the transmission.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All I wanted to know is what transfer case would work. I know it's going to go out on me sooner or later and I have access to others that I can rebuild, but I want to know which would work. Wondering if anybody has changed theirs either for being cheap or for intended performance use. Hell I'll even throw in one from a Ford as long as it gets me to and from I'd be happy. Like I said it's just for the mean time. And Also I never saw a tag on it, and I don't use ATF because it's not a power steering pump or a transmission. The manuel and also the parts store called for gear oil that was about 140 and that's what I've been using.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
I don't know what transfer case you have in there now. They all may bolt in, but you might run into linkage and speedometer hook-up problems, etc.
You probably should rebuild what you have. Your particular t/case should be around in the pick n'pulls, but you need to know what t/case it is first. ATF is the factory recommended transfer case fluid (ATF+4 is semi-synthetic and is the best to use). SAE 140W is too heavy.

http://www.2carpros.com/questions/dodge-dakota-1996-dodge-dakota-transfer-case-fluid

P.S.- If you post or PM me the last 8 characters of the VIN, I may be able to look it up for you.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
According to www.car-part.com there were three different part numbers. That site can be a good place to look up cross references if you search the whole country and note the donor vehicles listed.

Reactions: patrick_austin
1 - 6 of 6 Posts