Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a transmission on craigslist and was told it was from a 2006 durango. I was planning on using it for my 2003 durango. I was also told the vehicle was wrecked and it was low mileage. So i was hoping someone might be able to verify what numbers will tell me what year and maybe the vin from any locations on the trans?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bar code has TITTJ033411424 23:46:53
P52119449AB 449 RFE

From what I have found it looks like it is from a 2005?

What I was really hoping is to find out the VIN.... I would like to check the last known miles from CARFAX... I was hoping that it would be low enough miles that no rebuild is needed....

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
A rebuild is only needed if the transmission shoos signs of needing it. These transmissions ane based on the Torquefllites of the 60's and 70's, and are quite rugged.

Reactions: jerseyjoe

·
Super Moderator
36,933 Posts
No idea what is different, but neither a 2005 or 2006 transmission is listed as a direct interchange into the 2003.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I decided just to put it in and hope for the best. So far so good, I have put about 600 miles on it and no problems. The only change that I have seen so far is the newer trans shifts slower than the original. Such as when You floor it at 65-70, it downshifts twice instead of jumping straight to the lower gear. I remember reading somewhere a while back that the valve bodies where slightly different, and I noticted that the connectors were different colors (original white/new black). So I guess I did well for a working 545RFE on craigslist for $250 bucks that works well! BTW, I had the Durango lifted 6" with 35's, doing some serious offroading when the front differential ripped the bellhousing on the left side as well as the starter motor clear off. I reattached the starter to the sheetmetal between the engine and trans and drove it for two years without problems. Any questions or comments feel free to ask.

·
Registered
23 Posts
kenspeed said:
Bar code has TITTJ033411424 23:46:53
P52119449AB 449 RFE

From what I have found it looks like it is from a 2005?

What I was really hoping is to find out the VIN.... I would like to check the last known miles from CARFAX... I was hoping that it would be low enough miles that no rebuild is needed....
Unless Chrysler started adding VIN tags to those transmissions, you will not find a full VIN on them, just the last 8 digits of the VIN.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just out of curiosity did anyone ever figure out this transmission, I have the same tag on mine and I'm having a heck of a time finding any reference to it in parts databases. The only 449rfe I find is from Europe durangos
Searching the exact numbers on the tag lead here so.....

I was hoping someone had come up with some information on it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts