Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
3,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Interesting research conducted by Autotrader on what younger buyers (boomers, gen Xrs, Millenial) want and look for when the time comes to buy a car.
Nothing new or shocking, but still everyone in marketing should read and re-read this until they know it by heart. Dealers, imports vs domestic, features, etc.

http://www.scribd.com/mobile/doc/162607816#

I found it through this half-assed piece on the WSJ; apparently nobody informed them that Chrysler has gone through a bankruptcy and a tremendous comeback. http://blogs.wsj.com/corporate-intelligence/2013/08/23/are-japanese-cars-losing-their-cool/

·
Registered
4,688 Posts
Enlightening ...

At the very end of the presentation ChryFi and Dodge show-up. Then in the second piece, the statement that ChryFi lost a chunk ( or put differently, appealed to another audience) between 2009 and 2013.

That related directly to the perceptions touching Cherokee and Dart ( indeed, all other offerings; but these two models are representative of the cooperative efforts of Chry and Fi and are likely to show ChryFi what they need to adjust ).

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I won't buy a new car because of high pressure sales... Heck I won't by a new tv because of it... I do most of my shopping online...

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
marlon_jbt said:
No high pressure at my dealership. Sometimes I wonder how they sell so many cars.
They let the shoppers pick what they want without breathing down their necks? I know that would win me over.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
That's actually what happened to me at Honda, I test drove the car with the salesman literally taking a backseat the the process. I spent a week negotiating online, then when the price was agreeable I went in and did the paper work. Sadly the 3 Chrysler dealerships that I was dealing with tried to do some shady and high pressure sales tactics.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
All 4 times I've been there, I have said "I want that." and a few hours later... it was mine. :) No crap. No high pressure sales. It was basically "Oh, I can help" and "Here's your keys.".

Works for me. :)

·
Well-Known Jeeper
2,931 Posts
I think many members of older generations, and particularly men, saw negotiating as a sport. Younger buyers are used to the internet, shopping around for the best price from home, then clicking and buying whatever they decide on with no hassle.

Large dealer groups with better corporate standards and hiring practices, increased reliance on the web to market vehicles, and laws in many states prohibiting "bait and switch" tactics, all are helping to bring about positive changes in many dealerships. High pressure selling and gimmicks are becoming less common. But the perception is still strong with many, that going to a dealership is a nightmarish experience, and that perception may linger for many years to come.

Reactions: dak4x4

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,996 Posts
FreeLantz said:
I think many members of older generations, and particularly men, saw negotiating as a sport. Younger buyers are used to the internet, shopping around for the best price from home, then clicking and buying whatever they decide on with no hassle.

Large dealer groups with better corporate standards and hiring practices, increased reliance on the web to market vehicles, and laws in many states prohibiting "bait and switch" tactics, all are helping to bring about positive changes in many dealerships. High pressure selling and gimmicks are becoming less common. But the perception is still strong with many, that going to a dealership is a nightmarish experience, and that perception may linger for many years to come.
When I went to test drive a Dart, after I had been told that I had won it; I went to two dealerships in Arizona. Only because the first dealership ignored me to the point of allowing us to just meander through the gated back-lot of cars. I mean, there's a difference between breathing down someones neck and (i feel) blatantly ignoring potential sales. I blame it on the fact that they were a Dodge/VW dealer. I didn't know there were any of those hybrid-dealers left.. anywho; after being ignored for an hour, we left.

I went to another dealer, which was much further away; test drove my Dart & ordered through them. Low sales pressure, especially after telling the sales guy "i won it, so yeah.." and knowing how to drive a stick, and knowing more about the car than most of the sales people did (probably).

·
Registered
149 Posts
i for one cant stand the underhanded tactics going on in the service dept. Not the techs and mechanics so much as the service writers, constantky trying to upsell customers on poopies they dont need, telling customers bullpoopies info to scare them and making them worry about fixing or replacing something that isnt broken, and telling customers to do maintenance that is "due" which really isnt due, if you look at the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, all in the name of sucking every last dollar they can out of customers.

And dont even get me started on how they messed up a simple oil change 3 times in a row! I do my own oil changes and simple maintenance more because I dont trust the techs to do a good job than to save money. (No offense to those on here who are excellent techs and have high standards and work ethics; my issue is more for the punk kids who look like its their first day on the job and dont know their a$$ from a torque wrench. I always have a bad feeling in my gut when i see the service writer hand mh keys off to some wet behind the ears speedy lube tech.)

·
Resident Photoshop Nerd
7,996 Posts
kind of like me having received no less than 5 pieces of mail in the last few weeks that say "i should get an extended warranty, or that repair/warranty claim would've been out of pocket".. when I have quite a bit more time left on my standard warranty. The warranty item that was "repaired" was something that wasn't even broken (fuel door), but I am not going to complain, because I got a free oil-change out of it. I figure, if they screw it up, and I have it IN PAPER that they did ALL of the maintenance on my car, then Chrysler will pay for the damage if there were any.

·
Registered
138 Posts
As a student at the age of 24, I can honestly say the experience of purchasing cars was a difficult and disappointing one. Like in the study, I went to a lot of dealerships and looked at a lot of cars, and yet in spite of all the research I did online I still wasn't really prepared for the car dealership experience. To be honest, though, I did notice that some dealers are definitely better than others, and the dealers that are considered most reputable may often charge more but offer better service. I went to some dealers who tried to force me into a vehicle I didn't want which was way above my budget and they definitely didn't get my business. I went to some that seemed as if they didn't want my business, and a few others where the experience felt predatory.

I ended up at one of the most reputable dealerships in Albuquerque and they were legitimately reassuring and seemed friendly and honest rather than predatory. It was still very frustrating, but most of the failures of the experience were on my end. It was an experience that I think will help me later on in life with other things. Unfortunately, not everything can be as easy as buying a computer online, and as frustrating as dealerships are at least they offer decent warranty service (at least if you buy from a good dealer)

SUNBURNTsnype said:
i for one cant stand the underhanded tactics going on in the service dept. Not the techs and mechanics so much as the service writers, constantky trying to upsell customers on crap they dont need, telling customers bullcrap info to scare them and making them worry about fixing or replacing something that isnt broken, and telling customers to do maintenance that is "due" which really isnt due, if you look at the maintenance schedule in the owners manual, all in the name of sucking every last dollar they can out of customers.
This is true, and I think the extra packages dealers order are frustrating too. When I bought my car I was able to keep the price reasonable but there were a lot of places where they tried to upsell me even at the best dealers. And when I went to the local Jeep dealer they said they only ordered vehicles with power windows and locks, "because they didn't want customers to have to get the manual windows and locks". I couldn't afford and didn't want power equipment (just more electrical stuff to break in my opinion), and they didn't want to order one without them for my specifications, so I ended up having to look elsewhere.

·
Registered
5,970 Posts
Currently shopping for a used vehicle for our younger daughter who is a senior in high school this year.
Due to both my daughter and wife being off this summer it has been them looking. I have not been involved much at all.
My daughter drives my wife's 2009 Malibu with only rare times driving my 2001 Cherokee.
In other words what I drive and what I say or like hasn't been a factor in her shopping.

So what has my daughter found out about her likes and dislikes concerning vehicles?

Even though she drives a car and a fairly new one at that, she doesn't want a car.
From driving various CUV types of vehicles she prefers the older squarer body styles due to the visibility, practicality, way they look, etc.
She completely hates the looks of the new Ford Escape.

We are trying to get something that at least has fair mileage. Meaning front wheel drive mid sized.
There are no used Patriots in our area.

If she had her way (and the money to pay for the gas) she would pick a full size pickup or Wrangler JKU.

But when she is thinking realistically she has been looking at the older square Ford Escapes.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The Luigiian said:
This is true, and I think the extra packages dealers order are frustrating too. When I bought my car I was able to keep the price reasonable but there were a lot of places where they tried to upsell me even at the best dealers. And when I went to the local Jeep dealer they said they only ordered vehicles with power windows and locks, "because they didn't want customers to have to get the manual windows and locks". I couldn't afford and didn't want power equipment (just more electrical stuff to break in my opinion), and they didn't want to order one without them for my specifications, so I ended up having to look elsewhere.
Sorry to hear that you had such a hard time finding your Jeep. Pretty bad when the dealer will give up a sale just because they refuse to try and locate a car for you. I usually do about 15-20 customer orders every year for people that cant find what they want because they dont want to pay for any extras they dont need. It does require a little patience but I think its worth it in the end.
I dont try and push anyone into a car they dont want. I answer questions with real answers and not a bunch of BS, try and be friendly and helpfull. I have more people that come back after they visited, more repeat customers and referrals because I treat them how I would want to be.

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
browens1534 said:
I won't buy a new car because of high pressure sales... Heck I won't by a new tv because of it... I do most of my shopping online...
The pressure only exists if you let it.
I would imagine everyone on this site knows more about the vehicle they're looking at than the salesman.
While buying the Charger i was offered insurance protection for the wheels/tires, then insurance for the electronics pkg, etc, etc.
Makes you wonder just how frail this product is that they sell.
Years ago a salesman actually grabbed me as i headed for the door. I just turned around and gave him the "Cop Stare"
'till he let go. There is absolutely NO reason to put-up with any of that stuff.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
This is nothing but a "nudge" procedure to direct people the way they want.
1. Cars are important, yes, it is embarrassing when you and your friends want to go somewhere and someone else has to drive because you don't have a car, or you have to ask a friend to go somewhere because you don't have transportation;
2. They want you to believe a car is an extension of their personal brand, yet less than half believed it to be.
3. Persons connect with luxury and imports, yet it wasn't important to the surveyers, but they would make you believe it is, less than half on this thinking.
4. Not sure where they got the go for practical thing, there was no data to indicate that was the reason for number 4 at all.
5.Huge opportunity for the dealerships??? Yeah, 56% want to avoid the pressure of sales, and less than half believe the dealer is trustworthy.

In short, there isn't a high enough percentage of specific questions to indicate anything in this survey. It does indicate each and every brand has to work harder to make all generations to believe in their product, and even getting a car made in America with American labor is barely breaking half with the exception of the Baby Boomers.

·
Registered
210 Posts
rapidtrans said:
...Years ago a salesman actually grabbed me as i headed for the door. I just turned around and gave him the "Cop Stare"
'till he let go. There is absolutely NO reason to put-up with any of that stuff.
Hell yeah, what they think they're?, last car I brought (Mexican Stratus R/T 2006) was pretty much the same, I knew much more stuff about the car than the saleswoman and she was trying to sell me a bunch of unnecessary stuff that... WELL NO, I didn't wanted, she never went into physical, but yeah she persisted about that the whole day..

Stratuscaster said:
If a salesperson grabbed me physically like that I would have been filing assault charges right there.
lol, and well deserved.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Being in the car buying boat (Still haven't acquired one yet) once was well, REALLY not what I wanted. A few weeks ago, Mom and I went to look at a lot she was telling me about. (I'm 16) We got there, and I saw a 2004 Chrysler Sebring Coupe. It was worn, needed brakes and was $4,995. After we got approved for financing and stuff, the car's price doubled (final price after 2 years was $10,084). Was not happy. I was teased with the feeling of driving away in a car for me, and was also dealt a bad deal.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts