Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ranger, Pacer, Corsair, and Citation, if memory serves well, were the four trim series for the first-year Edsels. All have been re-used but only Ranger was re-used by Ford. Pacer was AMC. Corsair and Citation were next used by Chevrolet.

I remember the Desoto Suburban as a re-badged Chrysler Limo that saw a lot of taxi service.

Sierra has been around the block a few times too. It was once a Dodge station wagon. Maybe Ciera is an optional spelling?

I don't think I've ever seen a Toyota Century in person but there are a lot of them on Google Images and I've seen newsreel footage of the Japanese Prime Ministers entering and exiting them.

Studebaker had a Dictator but they changed that in a hurry when Stalin, Hitler, and Mussolini came to prominence.

Sebring and Voyager both were Plymouths then Chryslers.

Should there be a four-door Barracuda? There were four-door Thunderbirds, Lincoln Continentals, and Facel Vegas; some of which looked OK. I remember seeing at least one two-door Chrysler Continental from the 1940s.

I was kind of impressed with the Lincoln Zephyr as an elegant understatement. I think the first one I saw up close had a flat-head V-12.

Pontiac and Winnebago both used the Chieftain name.

What were the series names for the LaSalle? I used to see an emerald green one in the Florence area of Omaha.

·
Premium Member
20,074 Posts
LaSalle was a Cadillac model, but I don't recall them having any series names, just coupe, opera coupe and sedan and limo, but those were body styles, usually identified by a series number, as in 3762, 37XX, but Cadillac had the Coupe de Ville, Sedan De Ville, Brougham, El Dorado, Bierritz, Fleetwood, then they started having all kinds of names when these originally went away. Lincoln had the Zephyr, later Ford had a Zephyr. Nash had the Ambassador and Lafeyette, all in coupe, business coupe, 2door sedan and 4 door sedan.

I guess what's in a name is more important when someone knows about it and is still able to remember what it stood for and what the reputation was. Give me a name like Edsel and it would have a negative connotation, something like Barracuda brings back quite a few good memorires and stories that, making it a Dodge instead of Plymouth, kind fo makes a lot of us scratch our heads and say, "Whaaaaa?"

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Citation as a name maybe worked when the word had positive connotations, like a citation for bravery or such, but pair 'parking' or 'traffic' in front and it suddenly is a bad thing indeed...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts