Allpar Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a few differing opinions on the net.

Certainly, they can't both be correct!

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
What opinions are differing?
The owners manual and oil filler cap should have the correct information.
Use an API certified motor oil meeting Chrysler MS-6395.
I use a synthetic that meets this requirement.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have access to the car to see the cap.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Why is it a question? Why does opinion enter into vehicle specs which are printed in the manual? I'm pretty sure it's a 5W-20, based on the requirements for a WK2 my parents own with the same engine, for which I assisted in the most recent oil change, but again, refer to the manual.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
Engine oil recommendations begin on p. 329 here:
http://www.fcacanada.ca/owners/en/manuals/2018/2018-Challenger-OM-3rd.pdf
The internet has many opinions about almost anything you could Google, but always go with what the manufacturer says.
Save parts receipts with the mileage written down in case you have a future powertrain warranty issue where you have to prove proper scheduled maintenance.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why is it a question? Why does opinion enter into vehicle specs which are printed in the manual? I'm pretty sure it's a 5W-20, based on the requirements for a WK2 my parents own with the same engine, for which I assisted in the most recent oil change, but again, refer to the manual.
As stated, I have no access to the car in question.
I'm doing someone a favor and wanted to get the oil in advance of the person coming over for me to do the change.

Here's what prompted the question when I searched: 2 choices came up.

"the challengers with a 3.6 liter engine, gt, sxt and sxt plus use 5w-20 or 0w-20 oil. while the r/t and the t/a are 5.7 liter eight cylinder engines, they use the same oil type as the previous three trims, just at a higher capacity."

Based on the manual that ImperialCrown linked to, the answer is 5W-20.

My 2018 2.4 Compass takes 0W-20. That fact, combined with the above "opinions", prompted me to ask the question.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
As stated, I have no access to the car in question.
I'm doing someone a favor and wanted to get the oil in advance of the person coming over for me to do the change.

Here's what prompted the question when I searched: 2 choices came up.

"the challengers with a 3.6 liter engine, gt, sxt and sxt plus use 5w-20 or 0w-20 oil. while the r/t and the t/a are 5.7 liter eight cylinder engines, they use the same oil type as the previous three trims, just at a higher capacity."

Based on the manual that ImperialCrown linked to, the answer is 5W-20.

My 2018 2.4 Compass takes 0W-20. That fact, combined with the above "opinions", prompted me to ask the question.
I don't see where any "opinion" enters into it. If the engine will use either 5W-20 or 0W-20, the question really amounts to climate and perhaps moreso duty cycle, not opinion. Nor does the fact that your 2.4 L Compass uses 0W-20 factor in. It's a completely different engine.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
The bottom of p. 330 adds this caveat:
"NOTE: Mopar SAE 5W-30 engine oil approved to FCA Material Standard MS-6395 such as Pennzoil, Shell Helix Ultra or equivalent may be used when SAE 5W-20 engine oil meeting MS-6395 is not available".
The higher viscosity may be OK in warmer weather, while the thinner viscosity would do better in cooler weather.
5W-20 is preferred overall.

·
Valued Member
2,245 Posts
Let me see......2019 3.6L mini van.........drive to dealership.....give it to mechanic......$29.95 later take minivan home with new oil and filter.Why the fuss????????????? Also, it gets a car wash.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
Let me see......2019 3.6L mini van.........drive to dealership.....give it to mechanic......$29.95 later take minivan home with new oil and filter.Why the fuss????????????? Also, it gets a car wash.
I wish I could get an oil change for only $29.95. It's $50+ for my '06 Ram 1500 Hemi (7 qts conventional) and $56 for our '14 Equinox (5 qts synthetic) at the respective dealerships. Only way I can get it down to ~$30 is to do it myself. Neither one washes your vehicle. But at least I don't get my hands dirty. :D

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I wish I could get an oil change for only $29.95. It's $50+ for my '06 Ram 1500 Hemi (7 qts conventional) and $56 for our '14 Equinox (5 qts synthetic) at the respective dealerships. Only way I can get it down to ~$30 is to do it myself. Neither one washes your vehicle. But at least I don't get my hands dirty. :D
I buy the 5 quart jug of Castrol High-Mileage oil and genuine MOPAR filter at my local Walmart, take that to my dealership and they charge me $10 for their labor to change it. :)

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Retired guys have a lot of spare time to do these things, I guess!

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
I’ve always done my own & plan on continuing to do so as long as I can.

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Me too.

Always did my own oil changes since I got my first car in 1972.
After my prostate cancer surgery 11 years ago, I couldn't physically do my oil change on my '97 Caravan when it was due for one.
Took it to a local dealer: Parkway Chrysler - Jeep - Dodge, etc.

Next oil change I did myself, finding a cross threaded oil plug!
Been doing them myself since, no exceptions, even with a sore lower back and arthritis. ;)

Lesson learned.

Reactions: GLHS60

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I used to, but since I live in an apartment, no service work can be performed on the property. And for the $10 that my CDJR dealership charges for their labor, I don't have to deal with the mess. :)

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
Me too.

Always did my own oil changes since I got my first car in 1972.
After my prostate cancer surgery 11 years ago, I couldn't physically do my oil change on my '97 Caravan when it was due for one.
Took it to a local dealer: Parkway Chrysler - Jeep - Dodge, etc.

Next oil change I did myself, finding a cross threaded oil plug!
Been doing them myself since, no exceptions, even with a sore lower back and arthritis. ;)

Lesson learned.
I started the same year as you, learned on air cooled VW flat 4s and Chevy V8s. I hate sloppy work!
BTW, I have a nice vacuum oil pump that I can use when I get too old to climb under as long as the oil filter is up top like the Pentastar. I use the vacuum pump on the Chevy 4.3 V6 in our boat. It’s set up for that & works well. When I re power the boat the next engine is getting a remote oil filter & closed cooling so I don’t have to take the rear seats out just to change the oil & winterize it.

·
Valued Member
2,245 Posts
Retired guys have a lot of spare time to do these things, I guess!
I am 76 years old. Did all my oil changes, my families oil changes and even some neighbors for over 55 plus years. Been there, did it, done it!!!!!!!!
Also, had the old fashioned prostate surgery back in 1996 and was out of work for 2 months.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am 76 years old. Did all my oil changes, my families oil changes and even some neighbors for over 55 plus years. Been there, did it, done it!!!!!!!!
Also, had the old fashioned prostate surgery back in 1996 and was out of work for 2 months.
Ahhh! When I walked by your desk, they told me you were on vacation! Guess not...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts