Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a 2018 3.2 Active Drive II Limited, and today I was running errands around town. The outside temp was about 72-74 and I was running with the A/C set to 68 when I looked down and noticed that my Trans temp had climbed up to 186 degrees F. At that point I got worried at i was half way to the last quarter of the gauge where it ends in H.

I am worried as my Jeep only has 3,800 miles on it and I only bought it in February. It makes me wounder if I was stupid for not buying the tow package even when I did not plan to tow things. (I know my brother said I should buy one) but this was what the my dealer could find in dealer stock. and I did not want a 2019 as I did not like its styling as much as the 2018 (I know some people think I'm weird) I like that it dose not look like a baby Grand Cherokee.

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
I don't think that you have anything to worry about in normal driving.
What ATF temp gauge are you using? I feel that 186°F is relatively cool for ATF.
It will rise and fall in hilly country while the TCC is unlocked. It can climb above engine coolant temperature with no ill effects.
TCM software will change the shift modes and schedules for temperature protection if it climbs too high.

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't think that you have anything to worry about in normal driving.
What ATF temp gauge are you using? I feel that 186°F is relatively cool for ATF.
It will rise and fall in hilly country while the TCC is unlocked. It can climb above engine coolant temperature with no ill effects.
TCM software will change the shift modes and schedules for temperature protection if it climbs too high.
The temp gauge that's part of the configurable center screen in the dash. Just through me as it normally operates at like 160-5 in my daily use, and only got up to 170 in driving in eastern WA in passes at 98 °F so it threw me when it got to 186 in 72-4°F weather with pretty minimal stops at not many traffic lights (mostly take back ways and most driving was on flattish roads at 35-25 MPH) for not long and sideways not cool down as I got moving.

At what temp should I start to be concerened?

·
Super Moderator
21,398 Posts
Your owners manual may have a section on what to do about ATF overtemp. At this point, your fluid may have an elevated temp, but you are still within the safe range.
If it has an air-to-ATF cooler, is the cooler out front clear of debris that may block cooling?
You may want to have the dealer document it on the repair order the next time you take it in. Even if they find nothing, you will still have it documented.
There is a tsb # 21-046-17 that addresses TCM enhancements (not temp specifically) on vehicles built before 10-4-17.
The ATF overtemp fault code would be P170D-00.

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your owners manual may have a section on what to do about ATF overtemp. At this point, your fluid may have an elevated temp, but you are still within the safe range.
If it has an air-to-ATF cooler, is the cooler out front clear of debris that may block cooling?
You may want to have the dealer document it on the repair order the next time you take it in. Even if they find nothing, you will still have it documented.
There is a tsb # 21-046-17 that addresses TCM enhancements (not temp specifically) on vehicles built before 10-4-17.
The ATF overtemp fault code would be P170D-00.
Do you know when the came out and how to know if it has been done? mine has build date 8/8/17 and I bought it in February of 2018.

I have not gotten a warning light, but nervous about it getting to that point as my old school understanding of warning lights/messages is "your to late things are getting F'ed up now so stop and limit the damage" or do they kick in before that point now? I mean I have a Max Care Lifetime warranty (99 year) on the Jeep, but I certainly don't want to break anything.

maybe I'm just over worried it just seems to be running hotter then normal given the temps, and I know they are supposed to be climbing in my neck of the woods this weekend and I have to take my friend to SeaTac on Sunday and its supposed to be like 80-84 according to weather channel (90 according to local news) and that's a 100 mile trip each way, and I am sure to hit traffic in Seattle on one or both legs of the trip. (you never don't hit traffic in Seattle)

I'm nervous as on my Cherokee form I'm a part of they had a thread about it in like 2014/15 when they had all the transmission problems. and most of then where running in the 160-70 range in normal driving in like high 80's to high 90's and only got up to like the 180's-90's when towing or heavy of roading in the same sorts of temps with a few hitting like 200 to like 205, then after that it set off warnings lights/messages.

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm almost starting to feel like an idiot for not getting the tow group (my brother suggested it) even though I have no need for it (I don't have a trailer and don't plan on owning one) but I get the feeling I would not have this worry if I had gotten one.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,798 Posts
You can always add a transmission cooler.

·
Is pushing for progress!
3,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You can always add a transmission cooler.
The thing is with the Active Drive II and V6 it supposedly has one, pooping the hood looks like it does too, as I can see a massive radiator, what is clearly an oil cooler and the "radiator" for the A/C and then what must be the trans cooler. To be honest no one on my Cherokee form can figure out what exactly makes for the "heavy duty cooling" that comes with the tow package as it seems all models have trans and oil coolers. every ones guess is it has something to do with the fans but not sure exactly what.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts