Allpar Forums banner

Whats the truth about timing tensioners?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  henriksen 
#1 ·
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=530941&cc=1092293

As you already know i had a start-up after two years today. My disappointment was big when i discoverd that timing belt slided out and almost past cam-sprocket egde. I ve had this problem since i got my car.

thats why i was really carefull when i mounted sprockets for my overhaul. My second thought was that something had to be wrong with the tensioner. Then i came up with the idea that i had a couple of tensioners stored up. So i found them and started to compare them. For me its looks like there is a difference 3-4mm in how near they will come agains block when mounted.

The one on the link seems not to fit my 86 turbo Z. It builds outside alignment with sprockets.

The one i had from a Le-Baron 87-EFI seemed to fit 100%. This is a full metal-piece tensioner.
So what im saying is-there problably is differences in model/years/engine

So-??.

See less See more
#2 ·
I think there may be some differences and possibly between the tall block and the common block, but I can't say for sure. I just seem to recall it coming up in a post a long time ago.

Also, keep in mind that the bearing is a press fit and if it was pressed in to the wrong depth, that would change things. In that situation, it could be a manufacturers issue (defective part).

#3 ·
Something's not right here. You had a crank pulley sticking out too far, and now a timing belt tensioner sticking out too far?

#4 ·
Ha-ha Bob , great that you follow my prosses.

Thats right , but i think the crank pulley is posisioned right, maybe 1mm wrong, i shimmed the waterpump-pulley a little( that i think had a fail from factory) and all together it lines up well now..

#7 ·
I have been Chrysler mechanic since 1959, the first thing I would like to know is; Exactly what engine do you have in your car?
Is it the original engine? Is there a possibility of showing a photograph of your timing belt system?
You do want to be using a belt part number ending in 071 and the adjustable belt pulley should fit the width of that belt with slight clearance for shoulders on pulley. The correct belt tensioner 'weight' should be used when setting belt tension.
If all these things are correct, is the cam sprocket the correct one for this engine? There were cam sprockets used on the DOHC 2.2L Chrysler TC by Maserati which were slightly narrower, could someone have mistakenly used one of these sprockets?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.