Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Its a little like the headrests in the 07-09 Caliber...only not as ugly or annoying

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I just had a rental 2012 Ford Fusion and I had a problem with the head restreaints. You pull them forward and they would spring back. Maybe it's similar?

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
These are tilted forwards, so the top of them are closer to you than the bottom of them.

I cannot for any reason understand the reason behind this. I'm sure there is one, but I find them annoying.

It looks like if you get leather seats, you get a more vertical headrest.

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It does look like that.

I am with you that it doesn't seem to make sense.

One could put them in backwards, but then not only would they not be there in a crash, they would actively move in the wrong direction in a crash.

I pushed them out to their highest position, which is not all that high, which eases the problem but doesn't totally solve it.

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
These are active headrests (AHR). They move forward and upward in a rear-end collision as the seatbelt pre-tensions to hold you still.
There are many complaints about comfort and I don't know what can fix this.
There is a 'shipping' position for some I have read about, but the seatback cover has to be partially removed to reset to this position.
I have not tried to reset one yet and with the liability of someone getting injured because of this, I may not.
If enough people complain about it, maybe something can be done about it.
More:
http://www.automedia.com/Head_Restraints_Comfort_Vs_Safety/dsm20090701hr/1

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
I like the active headrests in the Grand Caravan!

·
Super Moderator
21,359 Posts
I found this. I doubt that your headrests have been deployed, but give it a try.
There is also a TSB #23-29-12 for Darts with black or black/diesel gray trim shipped with the wrong seats and or headrests and built before 8/11/2012.
STANDARD PROCEDURE - ACTIVE HEAD RESTRAINT RESET

If the Active Head Restraint (AHR) units have been deployed, both the driver and passenger side units must be reset. You can recognize that an AHR has been deployed by the forward position of the head restraint cushion. If deployed, the AHR units can be manually reset by pressing the head restraint rearward.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
Ah! Thanks. Well, I have tried pushing it rearward as hard as I dare. I'm slowly getting used to it, but I still don't like it. The car has the diesel dash with black-and-yellow seats.
Did you buy one?

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, just a loaner. I'm still trying to figure it out. Around town, gas mileage is disappointing (23-25), but part of it is me learning my way around the engine and clutch. I rarely match EPA city mileage anyway but thought I'd be closer. I suspect the more I get used to the car, the better my mileage will get. It's the 1.4T with stick. I decided for my personal car I'd wait a year and see what the R/T and 500L bring.

·
Registered
4,758 Posts
No, just a loaner. I'm still trying to figure it out. Around town, gas mileage is disappointing (23-25), but part of it is me learning my way around the engine and clutch. I rarely match EPA city mileage anyway but thought I'd be closer. I suspect the more I get used to the car, the better my mileage will get. It's the 1.4T with stick. I decided for my personal car I'd wait a year and see what the R/T and 500L bring.
I think its a matter of just learning the engine and transmission. I know it will take some time if I get one just because of the difference in power delivery between the pentastar and the 1.4T

·
Administrator
35,244 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Agreed. Today I averaged 30 on a run that netted me 25 when I first got the car.

I learned that "second is for when you're moving, first is to get you moving" when I started out, on a 1979 Rabbit. On this car, if you try that, you'll go nowhere slowly. If you're moving slowly, gotta dive back into first. It's probably better gearing than my Rabbit, overall, now that I'm getting used to it. (It does always take me time, haven't driven a stick in a while except for one borrowed Neon.)

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
From what I recall, the headrests on my former '09 Caliber SXT (cloth interior) were less comfortable than those in my current '09 Caliber SRT-4 (leather interior). I believe neither car had/has active heat restraints.

The gearing seems to differ between makes and models, also. My Caliber SRT-4 turbo is a 6-speed manual; my previous Caliber SXT was a 5-speed manual, so I expected that difference. However, my low-mileage '89 Caravan turbo (admittedly, 20 years older) also has a 5-speed manual, and the most economic shift points between the two differed significantly. For that matter, I traded my '89 Fifth Avenue recently to a close friend for his '72 Imperial, so his '87 LeBaron GTS (formerly my car) is at my house temporarily. The GTS also is a turbo 5-speed manual, and it shifts differently than the others. I'm a "cheapskate," so rarely do I open the turbo on either my Caravan or Caliber SRT-4. When I drive the SRT-4 on the highway in 6th gear with the speed control engaged at 60 MPH (in light traffic and good weather), I've achieved mileage in the range of 33 to 37 MPG per its EVIC.

One of my two oddest experiences was with my former '65 300 Sport convertible, 383 with factory 3-speed column manual. That car had little pickup until I reached top (3rd) gear — then the car really took off without further shifting. Not relevant to this subject, but I sold the 300 to the same friend with whom I made the Fifth Avenue/Imperial trade. Friends are terrific!

I encountered another strange vehicle on one of my earliest jobs as a clerk for International Harvester; I used IH Travelalls (I believe Yugo owners had better-built vehicles). Most were automatics, but one of the Travelalls (with low mileage) with a 3-speed column manual had such a poor transmission/clutch that I could shift without using the clutch at all (and didn't clash gears!).

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
^ Agreed on the 2007-2009 headrests. They are terrible, and are not Active. The Active headrests started in 2010 in the Caliber IIRC

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
^ Agreed on the 2007-2009 headrests. They are terrible, and are not Active. The Active headrests started in 2010 in the Caliber IIRC
Thanks for the verification. Likely I could survive when the inevitable time comes and I must learn to tolerate the active headrests. Either this adjustment problem will have been rectified or I'll drive with my head unattached (no great loss; my mind is not particularly useful). :wacko:

·
Registered
8,747 Posts
Thanks for the verification. Likely I could survive when the inevitable time comes and I must learn to tolerate the active headrests. Either this adjustment problem will have been rectified or I'll drive with my head unattached (no great loss; my mind is not particularly useful). :wacko:
Some Active headrests are just fine. For instance, the headrests in our 2011 Caravan are great.

I'm not sure why some cars get these weird headrests.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts