Allpar Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Yeah and if the rumors of a fully all-new Ram HD truck for 2023 are true, that would be a wonderful time to release a new V8. Bringing the existing distant 3rd place powertrain into the all-new HD truck would be a major mistake IMO. Ford didn't reach #1 and stay there by resting on their rear ends. I realize that all 3 brands put all their eggs in the diesel engine basket for a long time, but Ford and GM finally woke up and realized that there's money to be made with gas engines in today's market where trucks are SO expensive now and I hope Ram does the same.
What is the take rate of Gasoline HD truck vs Diesel?
There are multiple new products slated for 2023 or around that time to be released l, and I do wish 2023 does bring a new generation or an updated V8 HEMI for the trucks as well as the cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you want torque in a half ton, buy an Ecodiesel. Then get it tuned. If you really want torque=Cummins rules the roost. Torque is not the forte of non boosted gas motors. Takes a boatload of gas to develop big torque in gas motors.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hopefully the plan is to rejuvenate the 426 project and use that as an HD truck engine, at least at first. No to bring in politics, but real honest business conversations would wrap around the new Presidency not being friendly to large displacement engines down the road, especially a supercharged 426 for Challenger as any Mopar fan would dream of. Still, Ford has proven that large displacement gas V8's do have a place in this modern world. There should be a middle engine in between the 6.4L truck HEMI (which IS still relevant, regardless of the nay-sayers) and the big Cummins 6.7L engines that both cost a fortunate. Plus, with electrification, it could probably beat the 6.4L on mileage -- especially city -- with simply a higher upfront cost and slightly higher long-term maintenance [but with fuel econ savings]. Moreover, FCA might as well use electric motors to boost net output rather than "augment" as in eTorque. eTorque is fine for a quick bolt-on "upgrade", but ultimately electric motors need to provide a power boost beyond initial take-off. I'm sure FCA engineering already concurs on this -- it's just a matter of when.

BUT! We are Mopar fans that rule from the comforts of our couches, comfy office chairs [at home], etc. Business will be business at the end of the day, and that means number-crunching and often with the most profitable projects coming against what Mopar fans what. Immediate intuit says "BEAT FORD AND CHEVY ON HD GAS V8!!" and while that would certainly make Ram HD more competitive [and awesome!], building all-new engines from the ground up is amazingly expensive these days. I'll just say hopefully the cost-analysis showed it was worth it and it will come to fruition for the all-new 2023 Ram HD's, even though that is somewhat uncommon for both FCA and the industry as a whole as engine lifecycles are uncoupled from vehicle model lifecycles. And I'd be really suprised if their wasn't more output to squeeze out of the 6.4L, even if it did require some [even more] durable components, i.e. higher cost that gets passed to the consumer. It's just not fair comparing 5.7L output to 6.4L output as their work expectations are vastly different -- even from Ram 1500 to Ram 2500.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
What is the take rate of Gasoline HD truck vs Diesel?
There are multiple new products slated for 2023 or around that time to be released l, and I do wish 2023 does bring a new generation or an updated V8 HEMI for the trucks as well as the cars.
I do not have any idea. But I would wager a guess that the gas engines sell at a fairly substantial percentage. I know for a fact that Comcast uses gasoline truck exclusively in my region of the country when they order 3500-5500 series trucks to convert to boom trucks. The reason is that they are simple and easier to maintain and they cost thousands less per truck. And in the agriculture community I'm seeing more and more guys buying gas 2500 and 3500 trucks for farm chores, likely for the same reasons.

Reactions: Tony K

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Hopefully the plan is to rejuvenate the 426 project and use that as an HD truck engine, at least at first.
[redacted for brevity] Still, Ford has proven that large displacement gas V8's do have a place in this modern world. There should be a middle engine in between the 6.4L truck HEMI (which IS still relevant, regardless of the nay-sayers) and the big Cummins 6.7L engines that both cost a fortunate. Plus, with electrification, it could probably beat the 6.4L on mileage -- especially city -- with simply a higher upfront cost and slightly higher long-term maintenance [but with fuel econ savings]. Moreover, FCA might as well use electric motors to boost net output rather than "augment" as in eTorque. eTorque is fine for a quick bolt-on "upgrade", but ultimately electric motors need to provide a power boost beyond initial take-off. I'm sure FCA engineering already concurs on this -- it's just a matter of when.
I think there's a case for an eTorque 3.0L L6 gas Twin Turbo, and an eTorque 4.2L V8 Twin Turbo based on the GME T4. For one reason, and I don't know how accurate this is for stuff bigger than passenger cars, but the 0.5 L per cylinder is considered the sweet spot for piston engine sizing from everything I've read regarding cars. We could go out on a limb and make a 6L GME V12. Now THAT would be a truck engine. Set it up with MDS, and you'd have the best of both worlds. 3L fuel economy, V12 performance. If you could design it so the MDS shut off a bank, it would even be smooth in 6 cylinder mode. Use a CGI block, it wouldn't need to be very heavy.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I think if a new engine was to come to replace V8s for trucks, it would more than likely be a straight 6 with some new tech and e-assist in the powertrain.
Well maybe that was a dream 😳 but imagine a straight 6 hemi at about 5 liters.. with the new 8speed and electric drive assist.. that would get me interested in a new truck.

·
Registered
1 Posts
1st time Ram owner, 2019 3500 bought new in June '20. Compared to the '13 Chev 3500 6.0 Vortec I came from, the 6.4 is fantastic. Even my diehard diesel son grudgingly admitted that 'it was pretty nice', lol. It was sitting on a dealer lot unloved because it didn't have the Cummins.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
1st time Ram owner, 2019 3500 bought new in June '20. Compared to the '13 Chev 3500 6.0 Vortec I came from, the 6.4 is fantastic. Even my diehard diesel son grudgingly admitted that 'it was pretty nice', lol. It was sitting on a dealer lot unloved because it didn't have the Cummins.
I love the 6.4 Hemi in the trucks .. the torque curve is unbeatable, the only thing you need to watch out for in your nice new truck is the 66RFE tranny, get a trans cooler asap if you do any hard work with her.

·
Valued Member
2,356 Posts
In order to make a competitive, if not a copy, of the Ford 7.3, it'd require a whole new engine family. The torque-based Hemi's start at 5.7 and end at the HD Trucks. Every other Hemi is much more about horsepower, and the HD/SRT 392 are already the biggest "street legal" (as in they passes EPA regulations) Hemi of the current Gen 3's. Even my idea of making the 392 a 426 wouldn't make sense, as it won't have the same properties as the Ford 7.3. (massive torque after idle, for example)
Pretty sure this discussion went into "we need a new V8 family".
7.5 Liter is going through testing right now to replace the 6.4.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
7.5 Liter is going through testing right now to replace the 6.4.
We're going to need some details. A brand new, efficient, push rod, port injected big block V8 from Ram to compete with what Ford has would pretty much guarantee it a place in my driveway.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I'd be ok with a 7.5L Hemi if there is a way to curb the fuel mileage... for example.. Electric Drive Assist .. electric motors in the tranny in place of the torque converter would be cool, but also with that said weight needs to be reduced for the extra batteries. I would say there will be a few things to consider in building a new HD truck to meet future requirements. Will we be able to afford a HD with this extra planning and hardware added? I like the truck I have so much that it would take a lot for Ram to talk me out of it for a new one but if improvements meet the demands.... could be possible.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I don't understand the need for a "big block" engine, when you can build a better setup with ICE-electric powertrains, a la diesel-electric trains.

Reactions: Shane Estabrooks

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I don't understand the need for a "big block" engine, when you can build a better setup with ICE-electric powertrains, a la diesel-electric trains.
It's the K.I.S.S. principle. Guys buying HD pickups want the least downtime and expense possible.

10 years ago, if somebody had said that Ford would come to market in 2020 with a large cubic inch, port injection, pushrod, N/A V8 engine they'd have been laughed at. After all, it's not 1982 anymore. But Ford figured out that there's something to be said for a simple engine that works, and sales numbers for that new 7.3L have been fantastic judging by all the pages of threads on Ford forums and all the videos on YouTube.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It's the K.I.S.S. principle. Guys buying HD pickups want the least downtime and expense possible.

10 years ago, if somebody had said that Ford would come to market in 2020 with a large cubic inch, port injection, pushrod, N/A V8 engine they'd have been laughed at. After all, it's not 1982 anymore. But Ford figured out that there's something to be said for a simple engine that works, and sales numbers for that new 7.3L have been fantastic judging by all the pages of threads on Ford forums and all the videos on YouTube.
Nevermind that diesel-electric trains have been around almost a century, and that type of setup can be designed to give better fuel economy and emissions control, not to mention INSANE torque. Gasoline-electric would be no more difficult and have less emissions issues. Heck, Chrysler was playing with an ICE-electric M4 Sherman during WW2.

·
Registered
264 Posts
If a 7.5L gas V-8 sees the light of day, Chrysler could possibly sell it to medium/heavy truck OEM's like Freightliner or PACCAR. Gasoline engines in larger medium trucks are becoming more popular.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
7.5 Liters... 457.678 Cubic Inch... No replacement for displacement, "Elephant Motor"
Is there any historic MOPAR engine in this displacement range? Otherwise, 458 is a perfect CID number, as in my mind, it brings to mind an actual Elephant Gun caliber, the 458 Winchester Magnum. That's a Godzilla (Ford 7.3) Killer 😎

21 - 39 of 39 Posts