Allpar Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm finally buying the LED lght bulbs!! yay!!
but I need the correct solid state turn signal switch clicker thingy.

I went down there and didnt see it on the fuse panel??
I think I might have seen it just hanging loosely near the fuse panel off a few wires??

I'm here at work already and didnt want to dirty up my work clothes (kakis and a button up shirt) pulling it off.
Does someone happen to know off the top of their head if its a 2 prong or 3 prong?

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
You are going to have to look under the dash edge, usually between the steering column and the fuse block itself. It could be silver barrel about an inch or so long, or black plastic, not sure.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay I found it. it's 2 prong.
problem # 2 now is that I see two different 2 prongs on ebay. some say "motorcycle 2 prong". and some just say "2 prong".

their pin layout LOOKS the same. like this
_
|

I'd like to think they are both the same? any ideas?

·
Premium Member
20,153 Posts
I would imagine the one for a motorcycle would be smaller and click at a speed for the four bulbs, whereas a car has 6-8 or more, thus it would click at a different speed, the more lights installed on the blinker the slower it will blink, so stick with the non-motorcycle blinker.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just bought 2 different ones. one from hong kong for $5. one from USA for $10.

I did not pick "motorcycle" . hopefully one of these will work!

Thanks!!

·
Super Moderator
37,734 Posts
Solid state should mean it doesn't rely on the "load" on the flasher to determine the flashing rate. On a standard flasher if you increase or decrease the load (by varying the number or type of bulbs) the flashing will get faster or slower. That is by design so there's an indication of a bulb issue. The emergency flashers are not as sensitive to load and will flash even with bulbs out.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made a little harness with 2 two-inch pieces of wire, 2 spade connectors, and 2 sockets. I put one pin in the other socket and vice versa. worked like a charm.

I guess these LED turn signals have a certain polarity and older vehicles sometimes need to be switched. Hope this helps someone!

PS. they sell these mini LED flasher polarity harness swappers on ebay too, but I made mine for about $2.00 with a pack of connectors from auto zone, and some spare wire.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts