Allpar Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought a 2003 base Town & Country with a 3.3L (not flex-fuel) motor. Previous owner said he was told it needed a fuel filter. I checked codes and all that shows up is P0171. I replaced the fuel filter and erased the codes. The P0171 has come back. I figured I'd better check the fuel pressure, but can't find the test port. After doing some web surfing I found a post that said the port is on the front injector rail. I removed the intake plenum, but can't find any port. I've even followed the fuel line from the injector rail back to where it goes down and under the cabin.

Anyone know where to find the port? Or, does it actually have one?

Thanks for reading,
Danny

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrysler-3-3L-3-8L-Fuel-Rail-4861498AD-/350563921513?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item519f3cee69&vxp=mtr

This rail looks like the one in my T&C. I sure don't see a test port.

·
Super Moderator
21,353 Posts
The vehicle may not have a service port in the fuel rail for fuel pressure. The Miller tool #6539 (or equivalent) is needed.
http://www.toolsource.com/fuel-pressure-adapter-p-101306.html
You may be able to put something together at an auto parts store or hardware store.

Diagnose for P0171:

P0171-1/1 FUEL SYSTEM LEAN
When Monitored: With the engine running in closed loop mode, the ambient/battery
temperature above 20 deg. F and altitude below 8000 ft.
Set Condition: If the PCM multiplies short term compensation by long term adaptive and
a certain percentage is exceeded for two trips, a freeze frame is stored, the MIL illuminates
and a trouble code is stored.
POSSIBLE CAUSES
GOOD TRIP EQUAL TO ZERO
RESTRICTED FUEL SUPPLY LINE
FUEL PUMP INLET STRAINER PLUGGED
FUEL PUMP MODULE
O2 SENSOR
O2 SENSOR SIGNAL CIRCUIT SHORTED TO GROUND
O2 SENSOR HEATER OPERATION
THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR VOLTAGE GREATER THAN 0.92 VOLTS WITH THROTTLE
CLOSED
TP SENSOR SWEEP
MAP SENSOR OPERATION
ECT SENSOR OPERATION
ENGINE MECHANICAL PROBLEM
FUEL FILTER/PRESSURE REGULATOR (HIGH)
PCM

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
My 92 Caravan 3.3L & my 95 LHS 3.5L had a test port as does my 94 GC 3.3L. Looks like Chrysler found another way to save a buck or two.

I'm keeping my 94 until the wheels fall off. At 90K miles it should last for a few more years, Just my $0.02.

FredB

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello Again,

Thanks for your replies. What I finally figured out is remove the rubber fuel line from the rail to the metal one that goes under the cab. Then I installed my pressure gauge using rubber fuel hose.

I found the pressure with the motor idling is 32 or 33 psi. When I give it gas it briefly goes down to 30 psi. According to my manual it should be about 49 psi. When I shut off the motor the pressure slowly goes down. I did notice when I first turn the key on there is a buzzing somewhere on the passenger side of the motor. I tried to listen and also feel, thinking there may be a vibration while whatever is buzzing, without any luck.

Any suggestions to what to do or check next. I've already replaced the fuel filter.

Danny

·
Registered
292 Posts
I'd start thinking about the fuel pump, although it is pumping it's obviously not at the correct PSI. Perhaps the seals or bearings have started to wear not allowing it to maintain pressure. when you shut it off does the pressure gradually go to zero?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts