Allpar Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Enjoying the ride.
2,164 Posts
I've not seen pics, but a lot of car makers are doing away with a spare. Good way to save a few $$$ and save some weight too I guess.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Trailhawk includes a full-size spare, per the PDF on Jeep.com - WHERE it's located is another question. I'm going to guess and say inside the cargo area, under the floor.

·
Registered
3,881 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You DO win, Stratuscaster, but so do I---otherwise (a non-full size spare) it's a deal-breaker! I have always introduced the full-size spare into rotation---so a matching rim [unlike the steely (?) in the photo] is also a must!

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
redwheelwells said:
You DO win, Stratuscaster, but so do I---otherwise (a non-full size spare) it's a deal-breaker! I have always introduced the full-size spare into rotation---so a matching rim [unlike the steely (?) in the photo] is also a must!
Not just that, but it would be an incredibly bad decision, on a Jeep. Imagine being 80 miles back into the Utah canyonlands without a full sized spare. It would destroy the AWD system if you had a non matching diameter tire.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Exactly right, MoparNorm. But for me, even a flat 10 miles down a rough dirt road (and a can of sealant or a tempa-a-spare) with, say, the Latitude model could screw me up! Will have to check closely on full-size-spare-with-matching-wheel availability across model/package lines.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Would not surprise me if the full-size spare was exclusive to Trailhawk - but a good dealer should be able to hook you up with a matching wheel and spare for a price.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good point, Stratuscaster. "Extra storage" area under rear floor might then require a bit of "soyjoowy" for spare to fit (hopefully Chrysler has engineered for that and not for Three Stooges).

Interesting question also is about snow chain accomodation, becoming perhaps even rarer than a full-size spare. KK Liberty, for example, only can fit chains on 16" wheels, and even then only on the rear wheels. Might the new Cherokee not allow for chains on any model/wheel size?! Some people say you don't need chains on front wheel drive or 4-wheel drive, and some road conditions don't allow for even chain-equipped vehicles, but I like to have the option of using chains.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
Stratuscaster said:
Some places (like Illinois) - chains are illegal to use anyway.
In CA, it's illegal to not use them.
There are however some pretty trick low profile chain and cable systems that work exceptionally well, even on Jeeps.

·
Registered
681 Posts
I'm more concerned on the fuel tank location, remember the bad press from the WK tank location? They thought they uncovered the next Pinto.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
I highly doubt it's a matchin spare! Out old Commander didn't have a matching spare... It was a black painted aluminum rim...

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Well, the reveal pics show a full-sized spare in the Trailhawk. No idea if the other trims get that or not. The wheel doesn't match for finish with the other four, but for a spare that's not a surprise.

·
Vaguely badass...
43,889 Posts
Per the "official" specs - "full-size spare" is specifically mentioned as part of the Trailhawk model - "spare" of any kind isn't mentioned at all for the other models.

·
Registered
749 Posts
On the Patriot the spare tire well under the cargo floor has room for the optional tire and wheel combinations. Models that weren't trail rated came with a temporary spare that is the same rolling diameter as the road tires and wheels but only about two thirds as wide. That leaves room above the spare to stash small, flat, tool boxes, extra oil, and stuff like that. I suspect the KL tire well is set up the same way.

It doesn't look like tires with a rolling diameter bigger than 30 inches or so would fit in the wheel wells anyway; so the spare tire well wouldn't likely be any bigger.

·
Registered
749 Posts
It's looking more and more like the 4-cyl KLs are a slightly roomier replacement for the Patriot and the 6-cyl KLs are a slightly roomier for passengers and less roomy for cargo replacement for the Liberty.

The drag coefficient better be down around 0.44 or lower to justify the styling.

If we are lucky, fuel prices will only rise an average of 5.6 to 5.8 percent per year for the rest of our lives and median wages will rise at least 4.0 percent per year.

·
Active Jeeper
31,138 Posts
TWX said:
Well, the reveal pics show a full-sized spare in the Trailhawk. No idea if the other trims get that or not. The wheel doesn't match for finish with the other four, but for a spare that's not a surprise.
When they last tried that on a Jeep, the outcry was so loud that Jeep relented and issued an internal recall, to replace all WJ spares with full sized, identical wheel, spares. I had a Limited with the gold anodized wheel, about a $300 value, so it was an expensive change for them to admit to...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts