Allpar Forums banner

WHICH 4 INJECTOR MANIFOLD IS BEST?

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  B10alia 
#1 ·
I have decided to put a 4 injector manifold from a 2.2 or 2.5 liter engine (and the requied associated components to make it work) on my 1990 Plymouth Sundance 2.5 liter.

I had read that there are at least 2 different versions, are there more? And which is the most efficient?

What I remember is that the large chambered manifold, as on a 1987 Shelby Z Daytona T2 is a good chioce, if not the best. I don't currently have access to such a doner. I can get the smaller chambered manifold found on say from a 1987 Shadow T1.

Any and all input, knowledge and suggestions are greatly welcome.

pSUN

#2 ·
You're looking at a LOT of work. The TBI and MPFI systems are very different, so in addition to the manifold, you're going to need a new computer, new injectors (may need to be larger to accomodate the larger displacement. I assume you're using a computer from a turbo 2.2) and fuel rail, some new sensors and a new harness to make it all work. For not much more work, you could swap in an entire turbo head (turbo, manifolds, head with hardened valves and turbo cam) and get that up and running. You get the power of the turbo and the benefits of MPFI when you're off boost. IMO, the TII manifold should be the beter one, it has the benefits of more research and development.

#3 ·
B10alia; I have to admit your suggestion makes sense! I realy hadn't actually consideredswapping to turbo but that is a super idea. I am going to seriously consider it.

To change to turbo I would need: Turbo head, injectors, intake and exhaust manifolds, harness, computer, fuel rail, the turbo, wastegate, fuel pressure regulator, the air ducting and air filter housing, the computers (the fuel pump?) And the boost gauge?

I certainly don't know if I have an accurate list so please offer corrections if you see deficeintcies. In specific I am uncertain about sensor differences.

Lastly, what else would be required to jump to a T2, just all of the above plus the intercooler

#4 ·
If not mistaken the fuel pump runs higher pressure with the MPFI, closer to the 38-45psi range over the TBI 7-14psi, so something else to check besides the pressure regulator itself.

#5 ·
TII also has a charge temp sensor if I'm not mistaken. You're also going to need to redo the vacuum harness, but again, the MPFI conversion based of a turbo computer would also need that. There is a basic guide in the EEK pages, here, http://www.allpar.com/mopar/turbo-conversion.html, that should give you an idea of what you're looking at. You can see why I recommended a head swap.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.