Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2000 Grand Caravan............got the bearing and know how to change.

Which side driver or passenger ? Hard to tell.............

Read something about driving 30-40 and turning left or right and listening to the noise either continue or get quiet. It diefinitely does that..............but say it is the driver front hub.........

Which way would I turn to verify that and which.........lol

Who knows this drill ?

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
A good set of ears and maybe a helper in the passenger seat can locate which side is making the growl down at your feet. Radio and blower off and windows rolled up. Load the bearing by turning the steering left/right slightly and try to determine which side it is. Compare notes. Move your head around to determine if you hear the same thing.
Usually the inner race goes bad first, but not always.
Spinning the wheel off the ground and comparing left to right 'roughness'. A noisy wheel bearing doesn't have to be loose.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Try switching seats too - let someone else drive - the perspective from the other seat can tell you something too.

·
Registered
199 Posts
In my case, I could not figure this either to the point that I thought I have drivetrain/diff noise. I looked at the procedure to change the hub and it wasn't bad, so bought one from AZ, put it in the passenger side (felt to be more noisy), noise was a bit better. Then chnaged the driver side and all was well. So in my case both were bad, I guess that is what we call consitent quality in manufacturing.

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
If you don't damage the old hub/bearing getting it off and the noise turns out to be the one on the other side, you can use the old bearing on the noisy side. The part is the same for both sides.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,671 Posts
00Molavi said:
In my case, I could not figure this either to the point that I thought I have drivetrain/diff noise. I looked at the procedure to change the hub and it wasn't bad, so bought one from AZ, put it in the passenger side (felt to be more noisy), noise was a bit better. Then chnaged the driver side and all was well. So in my case both were bad, I guess that is what we call consitent quality in manufacturing.
I just hope the hubs you purchased from AZ weren't made in China. You might be replacing them again in a few months. AZ does not carry the best parts.

Last year I had to replace the front hubs in my 2006 Ram. In my research I talked to a Firestone service writer. He said they use to use AZ/Advance hubs but ended up with too many "come backs". They've since switched to a better quality hub. FWIW - I went with OEM from the dealer. Price was twice what AZ/Advance listed but I feel better going with a OEM part.

My experience with bearings has varied from vehicle to vehicle. The '92 Acclaim we had only needed the right front hub replaced in 302,000 miles. The '90 Acclaim needed both rear bearings replaced around 200,000 miles. Never need to replace the bearings on our '00 T&C Ltd (161K miles) and my Ram needed both front hubs replaced around 130K miles.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Actually, they might be from China, do not recall reading the box. It has been 15K+ miles since I put them on and everything is fine so far. I have had decent luck with their brake parts, transission gaskets and some other stuff. So far O'Reilly has been worse, usually selling me parts that do not fit properly. On my van, with its age and many troubles it has given us, do not feel the warmth to go with OEM parts. Already have resigned it to around town and bachelor ride, not taking the kids out of town with it any more.
Doug D said:
I just hope the hubs you purchased from AZ weren't made in China. You might be replacing them again in a few months. AZ does not carry the best
parts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts