Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will any flashable TCM work, or is there a particular part number that is best for a 91 New Yorker?

From my understanding any flashable one is fine as long as its updated, and it sounds to me like the newer part numbers simply shipped with newer software from the factory.

Is this the case? Is there any particular part number that is in some way better than another? Also, can I use a TCM out of a van or LeBaron or something, are those also compatible?

Thanks for any information to help me clarify this.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
4796122 is the number to look for. Your only options are 1990-1991 Dynastys, New Yorkers, Imperials, Fifths, or minivans with the 3.3 or 3.8.

Parts from 3.0 equipped vehicles or from 1992 and up are not compatible.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, thanks for the reply.

What if an older vehicle has the same part number? For example, there is an 89 New Yorker in the yard nearby, it's got a finned TCM. Could it have been updated? Or, do I still need one from a 90-91 car only?

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
36,919 Posts
As stated above, they are year specific. If the 1989 has a finned controller in it, it won't work for your 1990 (which would have to be a 3.0 car I believe). Even the reflashable ones are year specific and (prior to 1993) engine specific. The part numbers WILL be different from the 1989 to what you need.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Yeah, the New Yorker had the 3.0 in 1989. It did get an updated TCM but it's a different part number (4796121). It's the engine application that makes it incompatible, otherwise that one was good for 3.0 equipped cars between 1989-1991.

If you can't find a 4796122, let me know. I have one I'm not using any more I could probably let go of. Don't think I'll ever need it, and I can always look for another one if I do. These updated TCMs are often easier to find in the vans than the cars.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Perfect. Thanks for clearing all that up for me. I'll see if I can't find one, otherwise I'll get back to you... but there are about 5 or 6 yards in the area so I'm pretty sure I can dig one up, we'll see.

·
What sanity?
3,705 Posts
Sounds like a plan. Another thing I like about finding them in the vans is they're easier to remove. No working your tools past the horn bracket on those vehicles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts