Allpar Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my belts on my 85 reliant (2.2L) with efi is whining. My guess is its the alternator belt since it happens either when you first start the car or when you slow down and stop with accessories running (heat, Lights, radio, etc.) My belts are in good shape and they are all good and snug none loose, how do i get it to quit? Could the belt be to tight? Or should i just not worry about it and keep an eye on it?

·
Super Moderator
21,355 Posts
A tight belt is less likely to squeal and a shot of water onto the belt is a good test to be sure it is the belt if it changes the noise temporarily. A belt can be too tight, and cause the pulleys/components/belt path to be misaligned. The rubber alternator mount bushings could collapse and cause problems after a few years. A squeal would indicate slippage and that is bad.
Alternators can whine if under load. That is probably normal, but it shouldn't be that loud. Bad diodes/shorted windings can cause excessive whine and may cause charging and ignition-off draw issues.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
There are two rubber bushings on the pivot bolt for the alternator, in the bracket, and they wear out and allow the alternator to be slightly misaligned. All it takes is 1/8" or less to make noise. These are still available for about $3.50 each. The dealers often don't realize that you can order them separately from the $200 bracket, but with the correct PN you can. It doesn't show up in their parts diagrams. Try Chrysler PN 4556175.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts