Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get in the car today and on my way to work I notice the temp gauge is below the "H". I also notice that the charging system isn't charging and that my blinkers seem to be really slow. I say to myself, is my car overheating causing all these issues? No..... but what is causing these issues? It's another connection for sure.

I don't need this right now. I really don't. I can't tell you how much I don't need this right now.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Alt/water pump belt slipping?

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Alt/water pump belt slipping?
.... or maybe alternator just quit charging.
AutoZone or Advance alternator? They seem to be good for no more than 2-3 years in my experience, and often less.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Maybe a broken belt all together, Bob? Have you taken a good, close look?

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You guys hit the nail on the head. I went to check on the problem starting with the electrical connections. Then I cranked it to see if the coolant problem (gauge going to hot) was solved. It was not and I noticed that the charging problem was still there too. So I let it run and the upper radiator hose was hot yet the bottom was cold. Hummmm........ I looked to the left and voila. No belt on the alternator and of course this also turns the coolant pump.

So, three new belts and done.

But one more issue..... while I was looking around I noticed a pin hole leak in a heater hose. I guess I was supposed to tear into it so I didn't break down with a more serious problem as a blown heater hose.

·
Super Moderator
31,983 Posts
Good catch.

·
Registered
11,098 Posts
Glad to hear that it didn't overheat with no WP turning!!!!
That is too close for comfort. :scared:

·
Administrator
29,620 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well ..... The charging system is working and it's cooling fine. But, the A/C wasn't working. So, I thought..... the connector to the compressor? Or, something else? I then remembered that to tighten the power steering belt the tools came close to the connector for the switch on the hose which goes into the passanger's compartment. Wiggled it and voila... A/C again. So, all is now good in Whoville.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I feel your pain me and my dad are in a tight spot with cars too. Out of the 4 cars we have pretty much only my dads daytona is driveable. The oldsmobile inspection is out and i just got a ticket last week for it. My daytona is at my uncles getting fixed. Needs a new clutch. And the corvette my dad broke the back glass out on accident ao if ita raining no go on that

1 - 10 of 10 Posts