Allpar Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced both upper and lower control arms, tie rod ends, link pins, wheel bearings, brakes, and struts and bushings. I did this because I needed ball joints they were starting to go out and my struts started making noise so I replaced them even though I believe the problem was only the bushings had started to deteriorate. Now unfortunately I've only seemed to create a new noise. It now makes a creaking noise which sounds like my coil spring. I didn't use quick struts because their crap and I've had nothing but trouble with them in the past and recently on my jeep because I had no choice as my spring compressor wouldn't work for it. Anyway the noise is coming from my passenger side only and I've taken it apart twice only to stop the noise for a short time and to come back again. It makes the noise over bumps, around turns, and pretty much any scenario that makes the suspension move anymore then normal smooth road driving. I have double wishbone suspension not the one with bearings. Prior to this I had little to no noise and only because of the strut bushings which obviously I replaced. I did reuse the original springs because it in the past I've had issues with aftermarket springs and always gone back to the original which I've never had problems with. Obviously I'm talking about other vehicles this is the first suspension repairs this vehicle has needed or received. The springs had no visible signs or wear no rust, cracks, or even chips in the powder coat and seemed in perfect condition. Their is no noise coming from the other struts. The drivers side and rear is quiet as can be all had about the same amount of wear on the bushings but no other then that. This is driving me crazy and like I said I've checked and rechecked my work over and over. My next step is to replace the one spring and see if that works but I'm not sure that's the best idea however I don't know what else to try. Any suggestions would be great. I hate replacing parts that don't need it and I could had probably gone a few more years on everything else but I wanted to be safe. I don't drive the vehicle much and it passed inspection but the inspector told me I'd have to replace either upper or lower ball joints in a year or two so I did them all.

·
KOG
7,080 Posts
It's just the new stuff being polite and introducing itself to you.

What vehicle?

It won't be the spring causing the problem unless it's missing a rubber cushion or is installed out of its pocket. You may need to get under it and listen while someone bounces it up and down until you can locate the noise.

Reactions: DC-93

·
Registered
8,290 Posts
What about the sway bar bushings? When you replaced the end links, you may have "disturbed" the old bushings. They get egg shaped over time.

Reactions: DC-93

·
Super Moderator
32,275 Posts
What brand of strut did you use?

Did you keep the springs on the same side that they came on? Some vehicles have driver-side specific springs.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
I bet you torqued averything up with the suspension full extended.
- try torque it up with the suspension loaded so all the bushings are relaxed at their normal position.
( this doesent apply to ball type joints.)

·
Super Moderator
21,647 Posts
Is it a 'rubbery' creaking or a 'metallic' creaking? Rubber sway bushings can make the rubbery noise, while metal-on-metal will make a different noise.
While the vehicle is jounced and putting your hand on the noise source, you can 'feel' the creak. This locates it better than listening for it.

Reactions: chuzz
1 - 6 of 6 Posts