Allpar Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to start a thread full of positive things about Mopar ownership.
I will start. I became a Mopar fan after years of Ford ownership. I couldn't help but notice you get so much horsepower for your money ! I bought a Dodge pickup first and it has been my favorite vehicle I have ever owned. Now I can say I will probably never own anything but Mopars ! Performance per dollar and styling that is very unique in a sea of bland sedans and SUVs. So that is why I like Dodge and chrysler !

Reactions: multimopes

·
Registered
2014 Jeep Compass
288 Posts
I got into Mopar's, particularly Dodge's, from video games, but going to the CNY Mopar Association's big event in Liverpool (NY) made me really fall in love with the whole company and it's history.
I've only owned Mopar's for the short 4 years or so of car ownership: 1 and a half years in a 2006 Dakota, and my current 2014 Compass.
Besides the Dakota being bought in bad shape, I don't think I'll ever buy elsewise, unless forced to.

·
Super Moderator
37,490 Posts
When I was looking for my first car I wanted a 76-77 Oldsmobile Cutlass or Chevrolet Monte Carlo. While looking for one of these, I stumbled upon a really nice Chrysler Cordoba. I'd admired them and one drive had me convinced it was a better choice than either of the GM cars. I ended up not liking the dealer with the Cordoba very much and bought the Dodge version, a 1977 Charger SE, off a lot across town.

Second car, and first new car, was a 1987 Dodge Dakota. It was the first of several new Dodge trucks I'd own. I was disappointed there were no new cars that I wanted as I saw FWD fine for a used beater car but not one I was going to spend a lot of money on. Yes, I did consider a Mustang twice, but didn't sway from Dodge trucks.

Then in 2009 things changed. I decided it was time for a newer car as my current Dakota was 10 years old and my newest car, a 1989 Fifth Avenue, was 20 years old. I bought a used 2005 300C. Loved it and replaced it with my first new passenger car, a 2012 Challenger. For a while, I would buy two new Chrysler products per year but I'm down to one (and the rest being used beaters/projects) though a new Challenger convertible would share garage space with beside my Gladiator if it existed.

Reactions: Panterasr9

·
Registered
13,028 Posts
As a young man, I saw the Chrysler Laser XT with T-tops. I convinced my parents to buy that and a Chrysler New Yorker 2.2 Turbo.

I bought the Chrysler Laser XT from my parents and used it through college. They bought a Dodge Intrepid ES and loved it.

Then, as I entered the workforce, my girlfriend and I bought matching Dodge Dayton Shelby Z (hers blue, mine red).

We both traded and I bought a Dodge Caravan AWD, she bought a Jeep Wrangler (YJ). Both were incredible vehicles.

I put miles on my vehicles and I graduated to to a Chrysler Concorde LXi, then another followed by a 300M.

During those 1990s, Chrysler was incredible and highly profitable.....then came Daimler.

I owned 3 300C Hemi AWDs all going over 200K miles.

I had a Jeep Liberty Limited, Jeep Commander Limited, Chrysler Sebring Limited. My wife had a Jeep Cherokee, Jeep Grand Cherokee, Dodge Durango and a Chrysler Town & Country. I had a Jeep Wrangler Rubicon and bought a 1977 Jeep CJ5 with the 304 V8. My last Chrysler was a Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland.

At that point, FCA did not have anything I was interested in. They did not update the 300 or Charger enough to keep me as a customer. The rest of the lineup was stale. I flirted with the Jeep Renegade and Compass, but the 2.4 blocked me from buying. The 1.3T in the Renegade did nothing for me.

I currently drive a Ford Fusion Titanium AWD with the 2.0T. Great car. Not a single problem and great dealer service.

Unless Stellantis can entice me, I am considering a Bronco Sport or full Bronco.

I love the new Grand Cherokee L and hope the standard Grand Cherokee will have a Trailhawk version with the Hemi....i may consider that.

Reactions: Panterasr9

·
Registered
2 Posts
I guess I'm an old man here.. My first experience with Chrysler was mainly because my father was a Chrysler and Dodge man, he was driving a 1950 Dodge at that time. The year was 1956 I was 10 and he took me to the Chrysler building we lived in New York City. The Chrysler building at the time was the second tallest building in the world. The building than and still is today an incredibly beautiful building. The first two floors of the building was a auto show displaying Chrysler cars of that year. You could buy a new car there also because that was Manhattan Chrysler at that time.. Buying a new Chrysler and picking it up at the Chrysler building.. !! And to add to all of that going up to the observation tower high on the top with a breathtaking view of New York City. It was said, that was Walter Chrysler's Manhattan office.. There was a glass case there and in it was said to be Walter Chrysler tool box... !! A day out with my dear Father and visiting the Chrysler building was my first love affair with Chrysler..

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,901 Posts
My first MoPar I bought was a '65 Dodge Dart 2 door w/225 /6 in 1979 to replace my '68 Camaro 327 V8 that was my first car. However, the Dart was not caused my love of MoPars. That wouldn't happen for another 8 years. Had Chevy's until 1988.

In 1988 I needed to replace the '79 El Camino due to the carb was messed up and with a young family I needed a 4 door sedan and the El Camino had to go. Found an '86 Chrysler LeBaron GTS at a local Chrysler dealer and the love affair was on.. Bought it for $9300 (if memory serves) and only 37K miles on it. It would last us until it had logged 273K miles (blown head gasket). We loved it so much we bought a new '92 Plymouth Acclaim in September 1992. We logged over 302K miles at which point the heater core blew and though the part was cheap, labor was not so I replaced it with a '90 Acclaim that had 110K miles. I kept the '90 until it had 240K.

By then I had purchased a new 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SB w/Hemi. In 2003 we had also picked up a '00 T&C Ltd AWD that we kept until 2008. In March 2008 we traded the T&C for a new 2009 Dodge Journey SXT 3.5L. That was a mistake. Even though the T&C had needed some service (struts and brakes) we really did like it, but our older two children (of four) were now driving and we felt we didn't really need a minivan. And in March 2011 the Journey went Christine on us (idiot lights going crazy even though it still ran and shifted fine) - I think it was a Can C Bus error. Anyway, we traded the Journey for lightly used '10 Journey SXT 3.5L which served us well until it had logged over 157K miles. Unfortunately, my wife slid on black ice in December 2019 and it was deemed a total loss.

After two Journey's my wife wanted something different and we ended up purchasing our first GM product in 30 years - a 2014 Chevrolet Equinox. So far the Equinox has served us well only needing the windshield wiper module replaced under a special extended warranty coverage. Otherwise, it has just required normal maintenance (tires, brakes, oil changes).

I still have my 2006 Ram 1500 - can't bear to part with her after 273K miles and a 15 year love affair. LOL! I've put about $4000 into her the last few years. In 2017 I had the entire interior HVAC assembly replaced (blend door failure - known issue with this generation) and I had to have the LCA's replaced (ball joints failed inspection - long story) along with new tires. Last November it needed a new radiator (leaking). Sounds like a lot to keep pouring into her, but at this point I can't even entertain the thought of a new truck. I got sticker shock the last time I was there in November - a Big Horn 1500 on the showroom floor had an MSRP over $68K!.

I really want to purchase another MoPar, but the quality issues the last few years have me concerned. I would like to purchase a (probably used) Challenger RT after the Equinox is paid for, but who knows. Might end up with a Mustang or Camaro.

Almost forgot - some where along the line we also had a '82 Horizon and a '82 Omni. Wife unfortunately totaled the Horizon and the Omni had transmission issues (4 speed manual - 1st gear failed).

·
Registered
156 Posts
I guess I'm an old man here.. My first experience with Chrysler was mainly because my father was a Chrysler and Dodge man, he was driving a 1950 Dodge at that time. The year was 1956 I was 10 and he took me to the Chrysler building we lived in New York City. The Chrysler building at the time was the second tallest building in the world. The building than and still is today an incredibly beautiful building. The first two floors of the building was a auto show displaying Chrysler cars of that year. You could buy a new car there also because that was Manhattan Chrysler at that time.. Buying a new Chrysler and picking it up at the Chrysler building.. !! And to add to all of that going up to the observation tower high on the top with a breathtaking view of New York City. It was said, that was Walter Chrysler's Manhattan office.. There was a glass case there and in it was said to be Walter Chrysler tool box... !! A day out with my dear Father and visiting the Chrysler building was my first love affair with Chrysler..
You and I are contemporaries! It's nice to hear from someone my age. I was 10 when my father drove home in a new '57 Imperial, a white 4-door hardtop. That was the year I became car-aware. The '57 Forward Look blew me away, and I've been a Chrysler man ever since, but it hurts to see what's become of The Chrysler Corporation. My father was always a Chrysler guy, so its in my blood. Since 1969, when I first spent my own money for a car (a '69 RoadRunner), I've only bought Mopars, through good times and bad. I currently have a '16 300 and I love everything about it. But if the Chrysler and/or Dodge brands go away, I probably will too. I'm sorry, and I'm sure I'll be branded a heretic, but, to me, Jeep isn't a true Chrysler product. They've done good things with the brand, but I hold no loyalty to it. I guess we old farts are a dying breed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a new 300. It’s the last American RWD sedan out there. I hope Stellantis injects some new product into the brand and redesigns the 300 because it looks great and drives like a tank. Don’t know what else I would buy.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chrysler is such a well styled brand I really hope they do not cut Chrysler. So much heritage as well. Cool story's guys I enjoy hearing from you old timers! :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
You and I are contemporaries! It's nice to hear from someone my age. I was 10 when my father drove home in a new '57 Imperial, a white 4-door hardtop. That was the year I became car-aware. The '57 Forward Look blew me away, and I've been a Chrysler man ever since, but it hurts to see what's become of The Chrysler Corporation. My father was always a Chrysler guy, so its in my blood. Since 1969, when I first spent my own money for a car (a '69 RoadRunner), I've only bought Mopars, through good times and bad. I currently have a '16 300 and I love everything about it. But if the Chrysler and/or Dodge brands go away, I probably will too. I'm sorry, and I'm sure I'll be branded a heretic, but, to me, Jeep isn't a true Chrysler product. They've done good things with the brand, but I hold no loyalty to it. I guess we old farts are a dying breed.
HAHA.. Yes we are contemporaries.. The year was 1957 September I remember, when my Father came home for work with a new 1957 Chrysler Windsor 4dr black, he traded in the 50 Dodge and didn't tell my mother.. !! I loved the forward look style because they were out almost a year by than. I had no idea my Father was planning to buy a new car. I was 11 playing with my friends in front of the house when he came home from work with the Chrysler pulling into the driveway. Wow !! doesn't describe that feeling.. haha... all my friends said the same... wow !! It turned out to be a great car it had none of the problems that most 1957 Chrysler products had. Maybe because he bought it at the end of that year.. we had it 10 years I learned to drive on that car, I was driving it when I was 16. taking it to school. So when I bought my first car a 1974 Dodge Swinger slant six was no surprise. Yes, with all the ups and downs of the company I bought a few K cars. and two Dodge Caravans but I came to a end in 2015 when the only cars in my price class was the Dodge Journey and it didn't look like a good value like the past. Also the feel of the company with all the management changers was not the same, taking the Dodge name off the truck !! that made me mad a sad.. Yes, I bought a Nissan Rogue and it's a great car.. I didn't leave Chrysler they left us.. the customers. And now we read about another management change..

·
Registered
885 Posts
My parents drove imports :( after a real bad experience with a used Ford in late 60's. Datsun and Toyota... My first car was a Toyota - piece of crap - engine blew with around 100,000 on it - only lasted 6 months for me. For my next car I decided I am looking for a 318 as I knew several people who had 318 cars with lots of miles on them and no issues. I bought a '73 Satellite Sebring Plus - body was shot so I redid the body and paint on it a couple times - I had that car for 7 years - and sold it when I was done with it at 200,000+ miles. I found it easier to learn to work on being self taught - easier access to resources to learn and easier access to parts. Needless to say over the 7 years I learned a lot and did a lot with that car in my early 20's. From there I was sold - have never owned anything but Mopar since - and all good except maybe one that I knew was iffy when I bought it. Topped off with my '95 Intrepid that I drove to the bone yard with 300,000 miles on it (480,000+ km). I still really appreciate the easy access to resources and knowledge like this and other forums being a self taught DIY'r, and the ease of access to reasonably priced parts. Find them generally easy to work on as well. Sticking with one brand does make DIY easier too.

Reactions: Panterasr9 and lark
1 - 11 of 11 Posts