Allpar Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that I've figured out one contributor to why women get gouged for auto repair more than men do.

Most auto mechanics are men. They know that if they were the customer and got an exorbitant repair quote, they'd possibly try to tackle the job themselves. They do not think that women would do that though. And since societally, mechanical skills are not held to be as valuable in women as they are in men, women do not receive as much encouragement or expertise, which probably means that the interpretation that the average woman would have to have it fixed by a third party is accurate.

I do not condone such attitudes, mind you, and I am married to a woman with a Bachelors' in Mechanical Engineering from MIT who can generally understand what I'm carrying on about even if she doesn't particularly want to get her hands dirty in it, but I can see how such attitudes develop.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When my wife was younger she had an overheating problem with an omelette..er omni...Took it to the chrysler dealer and after an hour wait was informed that she needed a new headgasket ..aomething like $1100 dollars..She couldn't afford that and left crying from the dealership. She knew a guy who had raced cars for her father so she took it to him....After five minutes he told her it was a just a belt and only charged for the part. Without that friend the dealer could have really gotten over on her. Most women don't know what to look for under the hood. She knows a lot more now than then. Like you said..a guy will get under there and look .There are some exceptions of course but i think it for the most part to be true. I don't really knowwhat to look for myself now with all the sensors and modules!!

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
I think it's simpler than that, many men think they can intimidate a woman easier than a man and they run with it.
It's the nature of some service writers to run roughshod over either sex. Some I said, not all, maybe not the majority, but we tend to remember the shysters.
I had a service writer tell me my tune up cost so much more than the quote, because they had to replace the spark plugs and distributor, I said really? He said "yes!"
I then asked him to explain how he was able to do that on a diesel...?
It was worth the look on his face, as I paid the original quote, to tell him that was my last visit. ;)

·
Registered
8,047 Posts
While at a Chevy dealer getting some warranty work done on the Equinox, I got to talking to an elderly lady about her Buick Rendevous. He lived two counties away (60 miles one way) and was there for an oil change. When I asked her if there wasn't a service station or garage where she lived that could do it, she told me yes, but she'd bought the Buick there and they told her that she had to come back every 3,000 miles for a $35.00 oil change. She also said the changed the air filter every time she was there. When I asked if she had an owners manual and she said yes, I suggested she read it because they were taking advantage of her. She also said they told her she needed a set of new tires to the tune of $800 and some odd tires. I told her NOT to let them sell her tires and gave her the phone# and address of my tire guy. I told her she needed to find somewhere else to take her car after that day because they were cheating her and taking advantage of the fact that she was a woman. The service manager overheard me and didn't like it one bit. I told him that he should be ashamed of himself and that they'd never see me again.

Reactions: MoparNorm

·
Registered
699 Posts
They were taking advantage of her not that she was a woman, but because she chose to remain ignorant of car maintenance.

·
Radioactive
5,347 Posts
Some women renforce this view.

I know a farm girl who had the TPMS light come on this past winter. She knew what it was, and knew that adding air would fix it... but chose to play "blonde" because it was too cold for her to do it herself.

:|

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, the reason I had started this discussion is that Acura of Tempe, where my wife had been getting her '01 Integra serviced for some years, has had several times now we've had issues. First was a radiator that they wanted almost $1000 to change, second is an oil leak that they've charged to fix (replacing oil pan gasket and rear main seal) and it's still leaking even when returned a second time, and third is that they've repeatedly told her that her brakes are imminently bad (citing 4mm material left) and wanting hundreds of dollars to change pads and rotors, and when we've declined and I've brought the car home and pulled the wheels I've found 4mm of material before the wear indicator would start chirping, not 4mm before it's backingplate-on-rotor...

We're basically done taking the car there. It's got almost 140,000 miles on it now, I've got the factory service manual, and right now the only thing that I know is in imminent need of replacement is one of the steering rack boots, and the car is easier to work on than most FWDs that I've dug into. Even if I have to pay to have the steering rack boot replaced I'd rather have an independent shop that a buddy of mine is the parts guy at do it, as that helps keep him employed, and I know that they're not lying to me.

·
Active Jeeper
31,129 Posts
dak4x4 said:
They were taking advantage of her not that she was a woman, but because she chose to remain ignorant of car maintenance.
Just as I choose to remain ignorant of the latest purses. ;)
It's stereotypical to assume that ALL women don't know anything about cars, and some sales and service writers get big chunks chewed out of their rear when they make that mistake.

·
DO NOT FEED THE TROLLS!
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
MoparNorm said:
Just as I choose to remain ignorant of the latest purses.
On the other hand, you as a guy aren't likely to buy a woman's purse, really ever, so you're unlikely to be gouged because the very little possibility of you buying a purse is so offset that there's no reason to purchase one.

Of course, my mom had a friend that liked some expensive brand of purse and when they'd go shopping, the friend would often buy these things. Mom said they could be upwards of $1000 each... that's INSANE in my opinion...

·
Registered
87 Posts
It's just plain greed on the part of the service writers. They know that the average woman doesn't know much, if anything, about basic mechanics and will blindly accept whatever is told. Women should learn more about basic mechanics, not only yo avoid being ripped off, but also for their safety.

My dad's a mechanic. I remember when I was like 17, a woman drove to his shop worried that she needed a new engine. Some idiots at a different shop told her she needed a new engine. All her engine needed was a new set of spark plugs, wires, distributor cap, and a rotor. Sure he only made $100 off of her, but she always went back to him because she knew he was honest. And she sent other relatives to our shop too. She also had him to replace all the belts and hoses, rebuild the carb, brake job, etc. for like $300. She was so relieved after not having to spend $2000 for a junkyard engine replacement at that other shop, that she wanted to make sure she kept it well maintained.

Honest mechanics make more money than dishonest ones. I think the dishonest ones lack customers, so they have to really rip off someone who they think is a "sucker" to make up for not having customers.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts