Allpar Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After work today, I stopped for a few minutes to grocery shop. A friend was next to my car,and we talked for a while.
just as we finished, the alarm on my car went off.

After I shut it off with the key in the door, I drove off.

After another stop, I started home.

During the trip home, every time I stopped for a red light and restarted forward, the door locks fired,
even tho I had'nt opened the door. also, from time to time, the interior lights came on.

While getting the groceries from the car, the alarm/horn went off (again).

After unloading the car, I popped the hood and removed the battery terminals and cleaned them.

What might have triggered these strange electrical problems? Bad computer? problems with a ground?

Thanks.
Dennis

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Maybe a door ajar/dome lamp switch plunger has collapsed far enough to be on the verge of showing an open door even when all the doors are fully closed? These do tend to settle shorter over the years.
The plunger button can be extended and then by closing the door on it should set it to the correct height.

·
Virginia Gentleman
14,672 Posts
In addition, have the battery checked. I've had a weak battery give me odd electrical issues.

·
Registered
102 Posts
If your battery is good, another possibility is the Body Control Module. All the symptoms are from BCM-controlled components.

·
Super Moderator
36,916 Posts
I'd start looking at the contacts for the sliding door, though it could be any of them. Not that uncommon for them to move enough, combined with a lazy sensor, to think the door is opening when it isn't.

·
Super Moderator
21,351 Posts
Agree. Start diagnosis with the simplest/cheapest things like door switch adjustments. The sliding door switches are at the rear pillar by the 1/4 panels. Pull the center stems out to reset the adjustment, like the front doors.
The 2 spring-loaded contact buttons at the front of the sliding door make contact with the body-side contact plates with the door closed and carry the power lock current into the door.
A BCM is a remote possibility, but would be the last house on the block.
Don't forget the hood switch adjustment, if one is present. They usually are on VTSS-equipped vehicles. Extend the center stem and re-close (not slam) the hood on it.
A door switch can be 'tickled on' from body flex like starting out from a stop, bumps, turns or temperature change.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally found and fixed the problem. It turned out that the drivers door switch was bad. After a trip to O'reileys and 6 bucks it works again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts